Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

hii Jay here new here

Old 06-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

I'd say if you feel like you're topping out, it's time to try that next level. maybe a lower priced Fox Pro with the ability to tape actual yotes in your neck of the woods and use their actual calls in an ecaller?
Old 06-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I don't buy the whole premise - no matter how popular it seems to be online these days - that e-callers aren't as productive as hand calls, just because "everyone has the same callers..."

Remember - there's only one company in the USA which makes 100% of the internal reeds for hand calls, and they only make a handful of models of reeds.

So technically, there are more different sounds available on E-callers than there are in hand calls!

In reality, it's all about set up. Either can be successful. I've called predators from Maine to California and Florida to Washington, both with handcalls as well as e-callers. As they say - it's a poor carpenter who blames his tools.

And of course, it's pretty easy to see how productive e-callers can be when you take count at tournaments. Most of the top spots are held by e-callers, simply because of how the tournament rules work out - focused on productivity.

It doesn't take a $500 foxpro to be successful either. I called boatloads of dogs over a Foxpro Spitfire which was under $200 when I bought it. He11, I called lots of dogs over a RECORD PLAYER with an old Edison type phonograph horn when I was a kid (later upgraded with magnetic speakers and 100ft of wire to move the sound away from my position). Call collecting, including E-callers, is a hobby of mine, so I have a lot more than $500 into E-callers, but I have a WHOLE LOT MORE than $500 into my handcalls (I have a couple individual calls which were that much!).
I am not disagreeing with you.. I just tend to call many more dogs in with hand callers... I could go to the same set and set up with an e caller and then come week or 2 later and have better success with a hand call..

I also put my e caller out anyways so if I think the coyote busted me I turn it on to try to pull attention away from me... and yes I am sure the spitfire sounds much better than my Icotech300...
I will get a fox pro one of these days.. and yes you can call dogs in with anything ive had them come running in when i am just calling my dog in from outside..

maybe I am just bias against e callers until they get more work done for me... I just feel like Icotech300 loop is so short seems so obvious its not real.. but each to their own..

happy hunting
Old 06-13-2016, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

May be the case of you using the same sounds in your E caller as every one else in the area uses. Nice thing about the GC 350 and 500 is the removable SD card so you can buy extra cards to use sounds no one else uses. We do not have many wild pigs here, very rare to sight one yet we use that little piggy call to great success.
Until recently I use a MP3 player and a home made call, would never have boughten a store call if I could have been smart enough to figure out a remote for my home built unit.
I also can control the Decoy AD400 attached to the GC350.

Al
Old 06-13-2016, 03:30 AM
Spike

welll yall have talked me into it.. when i get alil spare cash.. I will probably buy a lower end fox pro with an sd card... after all it would be nice not having to call... which will equal a lot less movement...
Old 06-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Hard to find reviews comparing the calls on a price point. Example 100 to 150 dollar calls.
Figure you can get what you want when you compare a 500.00 unit against a 80.00 unit.

Al
Old 06-15-2016, 12:35 PM
Spike

ya I just dont need a mega phone.. Its hard to pick one out lol.. too many choices!
Old 07-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

I wish you lived closer so you could teach me how to call them. 40 coyotes a year? Heck, I've only ever killed two in my lifetime, and I know there are plenty running around here.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
I wish you lived closer so you could teach me how to call them. 40 coyotes a year? Heck, I've only ever killed two in my lifetime, and I know there are plenty running around here.
Its basically a 2nd job at this point I spend probably 40+ hours a week if I can in the field...

I am also probably in one of the best coyote areas in Ga... and I have More sets than I can handle...

But June owned me.. I got 2 coyotes and then ive been dry for over 45+ sets...

Hoping July the lil Needle tooth pups are out.. then we should all get some down..
Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 AM
Spike

Jay, gotta go with varmintterror on this one. You dont need the top end foxpros in the east. They provide more volume than you need. I yhink a wildfire or inferno will do you well.