Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Eating yotes or wolves?

Old 01-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I give my Coyotes to the local Trappers so they don't go to waste,or if I get one I want to have mounted or the hide Tanned I'll take it to my local Taxidermist!

I'd try Bobcat meat before I would eat a Coyote!
Old 01-01-2017, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

What about rabies ? Would you eat a coon, or something that potentially has rabies?
Old 01-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by the blur
What about rabies ? Would you eat a coon, or something that potentially has rabies?
Rabies has never been documented to be transferable through consuming meat of infected animals, lest said were contaminated by brain tissue, spinal tissue, or bone marrow.

Deer, squirrels, bunnies, and cattle can all be infected with rabies, just as likely as coyotes, wolves, or coons.

That's not to say I wouldn't avoid consuming any part of an animal I suspected of any form of commutable infection, but I wouldn't consider eating what appears to be a healthy predator or omnivore to be of any greater risk than eating any wild game.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Spike

I wont judge anyone for eating it, but I don't know that I would want to. At the same time I have a hard time killing anything and letting it go to waste. This dilemma is one reason I haven't killed a coyote yet. However, the population control is necessary!
Old 01-12-2017, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

First and for most when you wish to cook a wild critter the prep is the most important step. You want to keep the critter clean as you skin it remove any hair or feathers on the carcass remove all glands on those critters that have them. It is also a good Idea to remove fatty deposits/tissue. Try to age the critter also older animals can be tough and are better suited to a long slow cook method

Al