Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Dog Scare with Coyotes

Old 10-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
If you are a "good" shot and you are willing to buy a pellet gun ?

Within 25 - 30 yards, if you can put one right behind their ear = dead yote + no noise.

That's what I would do anyway !!!

We got pellet guns, a sniper rifle and a M16. So behind the ear huh?Didn't know they had enough force to kill them maybe sting them but not kill
Old 10-15-2015, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Might not drop in his tracks, but you will never see that one again - promise !!!

Even pellets are new & improved.

Right behind their ear at close range = dead yote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

My neighbor shot my Cat with a pellet gun, right under the eye. The Cat ended up with a giant abscess leaking puss.

I told him he was an ass, if he felt he had to kill the Cat, lure him in with food, use a baseball bat and finish it.

He was old as dirt and senile, I let it pass without raising to much trouble.

Sure all pellet guns aren't created equal, few are up to the job of dispatching a Coyote.

Wounding an animal, is in my opinion, a bad alternative. If you wound it, you have a responsibility to track it down and finish the job. If it is a lactating female, you have the responsibility to track down the young and euthanize them. Not something anybody wants to hear, but IMO a distasteful responsibility you have when you are an ethical hunter. In the end a Coyote is just doing what Coyotes do, they aren't evil, but they can be dangerous and certainly a pest.

I watched a misguided young woman walk up to a lactating female Yote and offer her a pork chop, the Yote said *uck you very much and shredded her fingers. This was a desert spring that was a very good spot to see all the wildlife in the desert. Signs up all over the place which said come no closer than fifty yards to the spring.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 10-15-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
In the end a Coyote is just doing what Coyotes do, they aren't evil, but they can be dangerous and certainly a pest.
I agree with that
Old 10-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

MN hunter, they now make pellet rifles that are more than enough to kill a coyote, they kill wild hogs and bigger animals.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
MN hunter, they now make pellet rifles that are more than enough to kill a coyote, they kill wild hogs and bigger animals.
I guess I'm behind the times on pellet guns. Been awhile since I bought one
Old 10-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I said is; "that's what I would do !".

After I shot him I would hang him on a fence line where I saw the most trails (tracks).

Some ranchers will hiss on them also.

Just FYI
Old 10-16-2015, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I still say to either learn how to snare a coyote or find a trapper who will.
So you catch a stray cat well that cat could have ended up food for the coyotes same with a wandering stray dog. Trappers know how to set release snares too.
You might want to inform our neighbors to keep their pets on a leash for a while too.
Just what I want to be doing is going out and buying wolf urine and after every rain or night of heavy dew going out again and spraying that stuff around.

Another choice is to see if there are open areas close by out side the city limits and learn to call them in and shoot them.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 10-16-2015 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

An average sized Yote can pick up and carry off something weighing twenty pounds (more than half it's body weight) or maybe even more (they have strong necks). If at all possible they pick up their quarry and carry it someplace secluded to feed on.

In plain language, your girlfriends dog may just up and disappear some day.