Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Too much foliage still up

Old 10-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too much foliage still up

Went out for the first time this year.
Flushed 6 grouse, but only saw 2. There is still too much foliage up. Guess I'll have to wait for later this month when some of the green stuff comes down.

Even went duck hunting and there wasn't nary a bird in the air. Too warm, and not enough other hunters to move the birds.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?
Old 10-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Went out for the first time this year.
Flushed 6 grouse, but only saw 2. There is still too much foliage up. Guess I'll have to wait for later this month when some of the green stuff comes down.

Even went duck hunting and there wasn't nary a bird in the air. Too warm, and not enough other hunters to move the birds.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?
Definitely still too much foliage up even for squirrel hunting or grouse.

But up here in wisconsin it's already dropping to 30's and the area I hunt oddly enough trees are changing and loosing leaves.

Only in the open areas but nowhere else around is going but after this cold it'll get going quicker.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup. I hunt the Hayward area, and I know just what you are saying. Looking at the weather forecast till the end of the month. If if holds, its supposed to stay in the mid fifties till the 28th, for highs during the day.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not the right forum for this...

But yeah, we were super mild this summer, and fairly wet, and the summer is hanging on a lot longer than it should. We're supposed to be 85degrees on Wednesday this week... Kinda makes it difficult for a lot of types of hunting...
Old 10-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Not the right forum for this...

But yeah, we were super mild this summer, and fairly wet, and the summer is hanging on a lot longer than it should. We're supposed to be 85degrees on Wednesday this week... Kinda makes it difficult for a lot of types of hunting...
Saw "small game" in the forum header and went in.
If a mod want to move it, they probably should.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Just saw this and moved it appropriately. Same in Ohio. I've been out for squirrel twice. Gotta get them on the ground, tough to see way up in the big trees.
-Jake
Old 10-11-2015, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I can not hunt grouse or partridges here in Michigan with out a SMALL GAME LICENCE . Plus the foliage effects squirrel hunting as well as rabbit hunting.

Al
Old 10-18-2015, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Just saw this and moved it appropriately. Same in Ohio. I've been out for squirrel twice. Gotta get them on the ground, tough to see way up in the big trees.
-Jake
Thanks for the move, bocajnala.

Took my youngest out with me today. Didn't see anything, but had a good time anyway. Did some scouting for deer season next month, and saw a several hundred acre tract that was logged this summer. Might be able to see in there finally.
Though being in a bucks only area, might not be anything to see for a couple more years.

Last time I went duck hunting, there still isn't anything in the area to see. And even fewer duck hunters to move the birds. Still too warm.
Didn't even see any evidence of hunting on a couple of really rice laden ponds i know about. That always have hunters on them.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

I use a shotgun in the early season with the leaves still on. You can sneak up on squirrels an get in shotgun range usually. After the leaves fall its harder for the shotgun, so a .22 rifle usually gets the call if I feel like taking a few more.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:01 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by toytruck
I use a shotgun in the early season with the leaves still on. You can sneak up on squirrels an get in shotgun range usually. After the leaves fall its harder for the shotgun, so a .22 rifle usually gets the call if I feel like taking a few more.
I do it the same way though I just got a new/used scope for my .22 still gotta dial it in if it still works not sure yet. If not I've always used iron sight. I've never actually hunted with it yet just target practice over 600 rounds through it so far.

Because of hunting on public land though I wear blaze orange heard squirrels see it easy vs camo but leaves are falling pretty good now in some areas