Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit Hunting Strategy??

Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Spike

Default Rabbit Hunting Strategy??

I'm new to rabbit hunting and hunting in general. I've had 4 unsuccessful rabbit hunts and want to bag one of those suckers in the worst way. I go up by myself or with one friend and just stomp around in the brush trying to flush a rabbit out, I don't have a dog and don't have the time to train one even though I know how helpful they can be.

I have about a thousand acres in upstate NY where I'll be doing all my hunting. Once you enter the land there is a main trail surrounded by heavy woods. About a hundred yards to the left of the main trail there are 5 dilapidated cabins spread out about 50 yards from each other. The cabins are on flat land about 20 yards in front of a small, but very steep mountain that is overpopulated with coyotes. There are a good amount of briar patches around the cabins. To the right of the main trail is about 5-600 yards of heavily wooded areas that leads to an open field covered in brush piles that leads to a small stream and pond. The rest of the land is marshy areas that leads to a small lake. When I've gone out I've focused on the brushy field. I saw plenty of tracks, but wasn't able to flush any rabbits out (there's also plenty of coyote tracks in that area)

So my question is where am I most likely to find rabbit given the lay of the land, how would you guys go about flushing them out, what weather conditions will you guys hunt in or decide not to bother in, will I only have any luck at dusk or dawn, etc.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Spike

Thinking of going out for a rabbit hunt today. Will be getting about a foot of snow starting at midnight today. Will the rabbits be out or do they burrow down hours before a storm.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Spike

Heisman,
Good luck with your rabbits. I wish I had that much land. I would try and find where they like to be. If you see them around the buildings hunt in that area, they like structure and protection, look for brush piles. If you have fence rows, put some piles of brush that are protected there. Stack some Christmas trees in a pile so they have protection.

Since you are hunting alone, without a dog. When you are hunting make sure you take it slow, stop and wait a 10-30 seconds then move a little. This will get the rabbits nervous and make them move.

Good luck with your hunting.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TrapperRob
Heisman,
Good luck with your rabbits. I wish I had that much land. I would try and find where they like to be. If you see them around the buildings hunt in that area, they like structure and protection, look for brush piles. If you have fence rows, put some piles of brush that are protected there. Stack some Christmas trees in a pile so they have protection.

Since you are hunting alone, without a dog. When you are hunting make sure you take it slow, stop and wait a 10-30 seconds then move a little. This will get the rabbits nervous and make them move.

Good luck with your hunting.
and also get ready to shoot those buggers move FAST
Old 03-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

a rabbit hunter can not be slow to the trigger... you learn that very quick.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Spike

As the other person said, they like places that are well structured for protection to avoid coyotes and predator birds. Old buildings, pile of fallen trees, big dead brush piles, etc. I wouldn't bother looking in the marsh area as they don't like being in mud/water. Reducing the coyote population would help your rabbit hunting chances also. I would avoid hunting in snow, very cold weather, as some may be out but I find they prefer being out on calm/warm days. I had one time while pheasant hunting, I was walking through the fields and their was a doe in this large brush pile. I was probably 5 - 10ft away from her for about 10 minutes until she jumped up and ran away once I continued on. I never even saw her until she went to get up.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

First off what type of rabbits are you hunting? common cotton tail or the snow shoe hare?

Either way they leave tracks in the snow and if not disturbed a lot they have regular packed down trails. You can slowly walk those trails and watch for that shiny black eye of the snow shoe hiding near a brush pile trying to blend in with the snow around it but that black shiny eye gives it away.

Cotton tails also will be in thick stuff (bushes). Best day to hunt either is sunny days. As with the snow shoe move really slow and watch for that brown blob in the snow. many times they will almost let you walk on them.

And yes they will be in that marsh if it has grass, at this time of year the water is frozen and the grass will hold snow making a cavity under it for the rabbits to hole up in during a storm.

Al
Old 03-05-2014, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by heisman123
Thinking of going out for a rabbit hunt today. Will be getting about a foot of snow starting at midnight today. Will the rabbits be out or do they burrow down hours before a storm.
Like deer, they will be out feeding HEAVILY before a storm. We run beagles that jump & chase the rabbit back to the gun but focus on the thickest areas you find. Blown down trees, brush/lap piles, nasty briar patches. Are there hare or cottontail there? Hare will more often lay under a downed tree.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy some brush buster pants or snake chaps, and go for it. Stomp on a brush pile and wait even a minute...while on top of the brush pile. If your with a friend --- you can take turns being a surrogate beagle --- when the rabbit is flushed: Start baying an howling like a beagle on the assumed track of the rabbit that usually goes in a circle, back to the flush point where your partner should be waiting in an area that can afford an open shot at the rabbit. Keep baying in different circle traverse's, if the rabbit doesn't come in on the first traverse. I would go slow to keep the rabbit from holing-up.

If you're in an area that has plenty of huntable rabbits...I would invest in at least 1 beagle with good bloodlines from proven rabbit hunting beagles; if not a whole pack. It'll put a lot more fun and excitement in your rabbit hunting. You can even teach your beagle to retrieve dead rabbits.

Last edited by Erno86; 03-05-2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 03-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Combo of what everyone has said and a great set of field glasses...step back and scan for their foot prints ...try to find there escape routes so you can be fast on the trigger. With out a dog..it's almost like deer hunting they will venture for food early a.m. and pm and they will want the warmth the of the mid day sun...also as you are approaching the area keep an eye to the sky ...the hawks will let you know whats happening in the area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.