Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrel & Rabbit Hunting.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Squirrel & Rabbit Hunting.

Hey Y'all, I went squirrel hunting with my hunting Mentor, and he taught me a lot yesterday. He taught me to look for more evident then just tracks like a nest in the tree's for the squirrel and rabbit dens on the ground. pee near the tree trunks and so on.

Anyway's It's a lot harder to hunt squirrels and rabbits then it sounds but hella lot of fun though, We're fixin to go again this Sunday.

We've hunted for 4 hours and we have found no squirrels & rabbits, just the evidents of squirrels and rabbits.
Anyone got any other tips to share?

We are hunting again this Sunday.

Last edited by The Green Horn Hunter; 01-21-2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: fixin some spelling errors
Old 01-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Spike

We just tested this theory again on hunting on windy days,and it proved to be the same. Bad hunting on windy days.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tclong03
We just tested this theory again on hunting on windy days,and it proved to be the same. Bad hunting on windy days.
What theory Sir?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

yep squirrels are way tougher than most people think who only see them in parks and in neighborhoods. You get out in the woods and you are dealing with an entirely different critter. Usually you show me a good squirrel hunter and your got a good hunter all the way around.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
yep squirrels are way tougher than most people think who only see them in parks and in neighborhoods. You get out in the woods and you are dealing with an entirely different critter. Usually you show me a good squirrel hunter and your got a good hunter all the way around.
Thanks Scotty, I am learning so much about hunting and trapping in general, I am having a blast doing so.

Although I still like to bag my first squirrel on my own though.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Spike

I love squirrel hunting. Do it a lot like deer hunting. Look for the signs nest, nut shells, tracks and chew marks on trees and logs. Then (while dressed all out in camo) sit and wait. I find morning to be the best time but evening works too. Mid day they are scarce. On windy days I don't bother. Tends to be a waist of time. A sunny day with little wind is best. The first calm day after bad weather is a great day to go.

Good luck and have fun

I don't rabbit hunt, never have. We have always raised rabbits for meat.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ladykiller
I love squirrel hunting. Do it a lot like deer hunting. Look for the signs nest, nut shells, tracks and chew marks on trees and logs. Then (while dressed all out in camo) sit and wait. I find morning to be the best time but evening works too. Mid day they are scarce. On windy days I don't bother. Tends to be a waist of time. A sunny day with little wind is best. The first calm day after bad weather is a great day to go.

Good luck and have fun

I don't rabbit hunt, never have. We have always raised rabbits for meat.
Thanks man, We are doing that in 2 Sunday's I did put up a teaser video though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_AkKd2_C6g

Wish I could new the short code for the youtube in cert link.

These are Dakota Line Rabbit snares, Dakota line said you can use them as squirrel snares, and got the floating deer stops to them.

Need them in Mi.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Y'all, I am looking for tips for my next squirrel hunt This coming Sunday, I like to bring one home for my next segment, from the woods to the plate, And I was wondering if y'all seasoned hunters who are successful squirrel hunters give this newb some pointers?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

One thing I have found to be very valuable is a good set of binoculars.
You see a squirrel then it disappears when you get close enough to get a good shot.
I took a set of binoculars, and started looking in the tree, and it wasn’t long before I spotted where they were hiding.
It was amazing how you can find them with a binocular, when you can’t find them with just your eyes.

Try binoculars next time you go squirrel hunting, and you will see more of them.

Go here for more tips. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/smal...ps-tricks.html
Old 02-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you for the advice, I will see if my buddy can bring his set tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.