Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Trapping ??

Old 10-31-2013, 03:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Trapping ??

This will be my first year trapping coons and yotes. So my question is the guy im selling to will buy them whole so I want to freeze them till I get 15-20 coons and the take them in. How would you freeze a coon and keep the hairs from freezing to the freezer or the other coons?? Can I put each on in a bag to keep this from happening.If im going to do this I want to do it the proper way.. Thanks for any help...
Old 10-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Throw each one in their own trashbag and you'll be fine.

Skinning them out and freezing just the raw pelt will save you a lot of room (15-20 coons is a BIG freezer!), save you a lot of weight lugging them around, and save you a ton of time thawing them out before you sell.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Forgot to mention two things:

Get as much air out of the bags before you freeze them, otherwise you'll end up with frost. While I don't worry much about freezer burning my coon hides, the runoff can be a mess when you thaw them out later. I have used 2 methods: 1)roll my raw pelts tight, or 2) lay them out flat/straight, then stick them in the bags and squish as much air out of them as I can, and tie the neck of the bag.

When you thaw them out to sell, you'll fetch a better price if you 're-fluff' the fur and clean it up a bit. Get a 'slicker brush' from any pet store, basically a fine wire toothed rectangular brush, made for brushing out matts on dogs.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the help !!! II have never skinned one before and don't want to mess it up and the guy will buy the whole thing. maybe I will give it a try and see what happens. THANKS
Old 11-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzy youtube can show this. You can learn just about anything about trapping and skinning from the videos on there. Skinning is easy. Just don't be in a rush. Taking your time will get you more $ in the end. Good luck. Can't wait to see some pics.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

thanks !!!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure you make the money cut... you don't skin a coon the way you skin a deer.... go ankle to ankle across the underside of the legs... not up the backs of the legs to the anal opening!

You will make WAY more money putting up your own fur.... like 5-6 times more. But the payout isn't instant like it is with a country buyer. Sometimes $5 now seems better than $25 in May.... but it isn't.