Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Brand new to hunting so many ????

Old 10-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Just a thought but you might ask if you can hunt yotes AFTER deer season is over. If you already did, please ignore the suggestion.

Last edited by CalHunter; 10-26-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wannahuntit
Dont care for shotgun.
Don't discount the shotgun as a VERY effective coyote killing tool. Check out the thread in the reference section regarding shotgun loads and chokes. It might not have long range capabilities, but in terms of putting fur in the dirt, the 12ga scattergun with a healthy load of buckshot is probably the most effective weapon you can carry.

And the locals want nothing to do with any hunters because they want no interferance with the deer hunting on their property.
Like Cal mentioned, check with local landowners about hunting coyotes outside of deer season. There are WELL DOCUMENTED studies of coyote depredation of deer, so if they're really concerned with deer populations, letting you control coyotes in the 'off-season' is probably the most effective herd management practice they could pursue.

One study I read 2yrs ago showed that in areas with predator control, one fawn survived the first year for every 2 doe. In areas without predator control, only one fawn survived the first year for every 27doe in the area.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Spike

I will be checking on the locals again sometime in February after deer season is done. I am sure the shotgun is very effective and I will probably get one in the future so I can use it for deer and waterfowl as well. But there is only a handful of locations that allow shotgun in public lands and most of them being 5 hours away with first come first serve policies and and a limit of 8 hunters a day. But thats a different issue. How do you feel about using a 22lr for coyote hunting? Is it enough bullet to put one down?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do you feel about using a 22lr for coyote hunting? Is it enough bullet to put one down?
A .22lr will kill anything on the planet if placed properly. Does that make it good for coyote calling? No way. 22caliber centerfires or larger, that's all you should be playing with.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Spike

Figured as much. Wonder why all the public lands dont allow you to use anything larger? Doesnt seem humane.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

I got curious and checked Illinois' hunting regs on coyotes. I couldn't find any restriction to shotgun or .22Lr for coyotes on public lands BUT the DNR regs did say to check with the "site Office" for any specific regulations for that site only. If you google search, you can find some guys on different hunting blogs saying they hunt coyotes on public lands with 243's and 308s so the restriction that DNR warden told you about may only apply to a specific public land "site." You should check out a few of the site offices for different public lands and see which ones don't restrict you to shotgun or 22LR. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Spike

You are correct about the regs. If you read further back in the posts I said that the state regs say you can hunt with pretty much anything you want for coyote but it goes for site specific. I looked at the hunter fact sheets for zone 1-4 in illinois for all public hunting grounds that allow coyote hunting and each one either says shotgun, bow and arrow or .22 rimfire. If you get bored look at the hunting fact sheets on the Illinois dnr site for the public lands and you will see what im talking about. I have started a thread in the mid west section hoping to get some help. I have seen tons of videos and posts talking about useing larger caliber rounds for hunting but all the hunting fact sheets and calling the wardens seem to prove otherwise. Or the peoples version of public land is different then what im looking up. They maybe hunting in zone 5 which is so far south it would be cheaper to pay the 160 for a furbearer license in wiconsin. If you read back a couple posts you will notice that I said I called the public lands. Which I called every one in zone 1-4 to verify their dnr hunter fact sheet was correct and their firearm restrictions where correct. I just think the people are just claiming they are on public land or in zone 5, which I may call tomorrow to see what they say. Either way getting very agitated over the issue.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't catch the fine print you posted earlier and can see where that would create some challenges. My bad. It sounds like the hunting stuff in Illinois is almost as messed up as CA.

Having said that, you said the actual limitation is "22 rimfire." That would include 22 mag which is a substantial step up from a 22LR and is coyote capable out to 100-125 yards. I don't know if that "22 rimfire" limitation would allow you to use the new Winchester .17 WSM or not but it's a rimfire cartridge and packs even more punch. These may not be your preferred cartridge (something in a centerfire .22 cartridge) but they do offer more capability than a 22 LR.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Spike

It does state .22 or smaller at some locations. So if the .17 is smaller, which I am assuming it is then I could use it at select locations. Not sure about the .22 mag ill have to look it up.

Last edited by wannahuntit; 10-27-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

If the regs do allow a 17, here's a link to a Chuck Hawks article about the 17 Winchester Super Magnum with some interesting ballistics info.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/17_super_mag_first_look.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.