Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Brand new to hunting so many ????

Old 11-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Should post a thread in the Calling in the East section asking if anyone's hunts in Illinois.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Spike

ya ill have to do that. Does anyone know of any good hunting stores online that I can possibly get some good deals on hunting gear for the holidays. I plan on buying my snow camo skinning knife binoculars range finder this weekend with the sales. Also seen some nice deal on rifles as well but still havent found the right rifle.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Spike

So I got just about everything I need to go coyote hunting but I need help on selecting camo. Not the colors but like some have scent lock or silent weave some are waterproof some arent what is a good style to get. Like cabelas has a really good sale on their brand camo but I cant tell if its worth it or should I go with a larger know name brand?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Natural Gear Camo and dress in layers for warmth....for Snow/Winter time I went with the Natural Gear also in their Snow/White Pattern at Midway USA.

Find a Brand or Pattern You like and hit all the Major Stores for the best prices...RealTree and Mossy Oak are good looking Camo and Lost Camo and a few others...look at some in Person then shop on-line if You want more Options!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Waterproof stuff is inevitably noisy, and never breathes well. Water resistant will treat you fine.

Do NOT waste your money on scent control clothing of any kind for predator calling. It honestly won't make a difference. Personally, I don't even believe in it for deer hunting, but years of field experience, and trying different products, and observing coyotes reaction has proven to me that nothing exists that will beat their nose. Confidence scents can help, but scent killers are just a waste of time and money.

The Cabelas brand stuff is usually good stuff. It's probably arguably a "more largely known brand name" than anything else in the market these days.

Water proofing spray (scotch guard) around the lower legs and the hind end of your pants will help keep you dry walking through dewy grass, and sitting on stand. I use stools/chairs/pads so I'm not sitting in the dirt, but it's nice knowing my hind end will stay dry.

I'm wearing Under Armour Ayton bibs and jacket these days to stay warm, under a ghillie poncho when I'm out in open ground to help blend into the dry grass of Kansas prairie. Just got a UA Dead Calm jacket for the super cold days, we'll see how she holds up this week in the deer stand.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Spike

Ill have to look around. I was looking for water proof cuz I will be doing my hunting in snow. So imwill be sitting kneeling and laying in snow
Old 12-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

if you happen to find an out of the way place that you like, you can go to your local courthouse and find out who owns it. i checked on a nice spot last year, went down to my courthouse and found out that cotiga development company owns it. i googled them and got a phone number, they told me they had 144,000 acres there and ALL of it was huntable with a valid license. "come on down and get your permission letter..."
Old 01-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

Did you ever get to get out and hunt any?