Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Using your cellphone as a call?

Old 08-28-2013, 06:13 AM
Spike

Default Using your cellphone as a call?

Hey everyone,

Since electronic call's are some what allowed in Michigan? Couldn't I use my cellphone as an electronic caller? Most of the time I am using 2 Nickels to rub together to call the Squirrels.

Thanks Derek
Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never called a squirrel... but if electronic calls are in fact, legal, then I don't see why not. Maybe the speakerphone would be loud enough, I don't know.

If you use your cell phone as a call, it will be considered an electronic call, so you'd better be sure they are legal and not just "somewhat legal," whatever that means, lol.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:46 AM
Spike

Thanks man, I am going to a store that works closely with dnr in my area!

He know's the in's and out's of the area rule and regulations.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Confirm the legality. It may pertain to a certain type of hunting I.E. predator hunting and such.

But for squirrels the quarter or nickel setup is fine. it has worked in the past and will work in the future. When it comes to anything else though i would go with things more natural.

People don't hear in the full ranges that animals can and don't notice these things but animals can actually pick up on the hum and undetected feedback speakers often generate. When i say feedback i'm not talking about when you get a mic next to a stage amp but even when your app or whatever if between say grunts. It is still applying power to the speaker and that minute power will still cause vibrations in the speaker, though we hear nothing an animal could possibly pick it up. This is why predator calls are made in a particular way to amplify sounds but also dampen the silence between sounds.

Distortion from recording may be a better word.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your cell phone might be louder than a pair of coins, so in that aspect, it would be a step up. The problem with cellphones as callers, however, is that they aren't very loud, and usually distort pretty bad when you turn the volume up high.

I've called coyotes using iHunt app on iphone and an amplified speaker I got at walmart (runs on 2 AA batteries). Absolutely will not replace an actual E-caller, and for what it's worth, handcalls would be way better and as cheap, but it works.

If you want a great quality squirrel call, look up Bee's O'Brien on Facebook. He makes a few different models, I have a couple, they do great on our reds...
Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bee's O'Brien Game Calls

Here's Bee's website, he's on facebook as well. He does a 'rasp style' squirrel call, as well as a few different styles of bellows calls. He posts a lot of squirrel hunting pics on another forum I use, and a lot of guys over there swear by his calls. I bought a few, don't fancy myself an avid squirrel caller, but have done well enough with them to agree they work, and are well worth owning.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Spike

Thank you everyone, I will be making a call I've found on youtube.

You guys rock.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used a few sounds on my I-Phone but haven't actually brought anything in with the sounds...as mentioned the volume just doesn't reach out but I'm sure it would work if a Coyote,Fox or Bobcat was nearby Anne You just wanted to coax them in for a Shot!

I've used Mouse Squeakers and even Lip Squeaked Coyotes and Bobcats in close so it can work.I suggest using some good Ol tried and true mouth calls to get plenty of volume and realism when calling in Predators.A nice Electronic Caller would be great but if You can't afford one when You first starting out You have to make do with what's available and fits Your budget!