Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Calling Survey

Old 06-24-2013, 06:45 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Default Coyote Calling Survey

Gang,

I am compiling some data for upcoming written works. Please take a moment to complete this brief survey on Coyote Calling.

Here is the link..... http://srvy.it/1a1rxrt

Thanks in advance,

BHW
Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Id like to see the survey results when you are finished. Could be helpful to a beginning hunter.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not from the USA but I participated anyway...
Old 07-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Done, Hope it helped! Would also like to see the results if possible when you are finished.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Argh, polling bias is always unavoidable!!!

I took the survey, and love the idea of collecting information like this, but it did make me cringe a little bit when I gave some of my honest answers.

For example: what time of day did you harvest most of your coyotes? I had to honestly answer 5-7pm, even though my experience doesn't support that the evening is the most productive calling time around here. Mornings are FAR more productive than evenings in terms of rate of success, but I ended up doing a lot more hunting in the evenings last season because my wife's (my calling partner for life!) work schedule pushed us to the evenings.

Or does your typical routine consist of one sound or several sounds? My first thought was "I used 50 different hand calls last winter and a dozen different E-callers"... But yes, I generally only use one or two sounds on a set, even though I rarely use the same sound 2 days in a row.

Polls have to keep it simple, but inevitably, it can produce incoming data that might not tell the whole story.

One question that you might include next year that they always have on our State parks and Wildlife surveys: How many days did you hunt last season? If a guy goes out 20days and kills 20 coyotes, that says a lot more about the population and success rate than hearing that a guy went out 100days and killed 5 coyotes.