Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Shotgun load for bobcats?

Old 02-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Spike

Default Shotgun load for bobcats?

Not wanting to tear up the tender hide, I shot my first one with a turkey choked 3" load of heavy shot #6 @ 40 yds and the cat just fell over dead right there. Next time we went we were gonna be calling where we had equal chance of a coyote or cat so I stepped up to high brass load of #2 shot. My wife was doing the shooting and 35 yds and it was DRT, cat never even kicked. Last weekend while hunting in thick woods, I had one 35 yrds and he had spotted me. The cat was setting with his chest behind a tree and leaning his head sorta sides ways around the tree looking at me. I could see his whole face/head and figured it was a slam dunk with #2 shot. I had to move my shotgun from 12 oclock to 2:00 but did so very slowly and squeezed one off. It rolled him backwards but he came right up and I never saw him again. I tracked decent blood for 100 yds but he got in some standing water and I lost the track.
If you have killed a few cats with a shotgun, what is your favorite size shot? Losing that cat kicked me in the gut, I thought I had him DEAD.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

It should have been a slam dunk shooting him in the body with that load at that distance, but it was probably a poor choice to only have his head to shoot at and you found that out the hard way!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

#4 Buckshot or heavier than lead Dead Coyote T shot (expensive). Plenty of range, very nice to hides (pellet sized entry holes, no exits usually), DRT.

Whack a cat too close with those bird or goose loads and you'll end up peeling the entry side hide like a banana.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

I would try the HeviShot Dead Coyote shells....that will put
a hurting on the bobcats for sure