Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help me coyote calling

Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Spike

Default Help me coyote calling

I have a Johnny Stewart. I've set up and called with no success. sometimes at the end of deer hunts, sometimes out for predators. Question..The calls last for about 3 minutes then stop. Should I restart immediatly or do 3 minutes then wait for 10 minutes before starting back?. What sequence works for you? I use mostly the rabbit distress. SC has started allowing night hunts for coyotes, hogs and armidills. I'm gonna try it at dark and see what happens.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Spike

First thing is you have to be where there are coyotes. Next you have to have enough open area to see them coming whether it be daylight or dark. If you are hearing them and have a general idea of where they are denning or hanging out, then you want to try and set up with the sun at your back and the wind should be crossing or in your face. It's hard to get them to come in with the wind, crossing wind is better. Be sure to watch down wind as this is where they would most like to approach. If you are hunting in the daylight, use full camo especially face and hands and sit STILL. If you are hunting at night, use a red light and keep scanning the with light the whole time you are set. Keep your movement to an abosulte minimum. It is very important to slip into your area quitely with no talking or noisey gear. I would park at least 200 yds away from where you are going to call, 400 would be better. It is possible to call one to your vehical but you will be decreasing your chances if you start this way. Prime time will be at night if you have the right set up, or the first couple hours of daylight would be next. They can be called at any hour but your efforts will be better spent if you call at peak times. There is no right or wrong answer to how long to run the call. If you get lucky, one will come in in less than 3 minutes but it can take 15-20 minutes. If your call has coyote pup distress sounds, end your set with 5 minutes of it. Stay focussed, keep scanning with your eyes. Coyotes are sharp they will bust you if you move or your attire is shinny and out of place. A decoy can be helpful but just like turkey hunting, won't always work. Experience is the best teacher. Keep calling and good luck. It is much harder in the east than out west, but the calls do work in the east, they are just harder see coming in.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't overcall. They are cagey. I use a mouth call, and give three squeals and five squeaks in rapid succession. Works for me.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Spike

I usually use rabbit distress for one minute sequences about 10 minutes apart. I've called in a few this way but only killed one. For some reason they're usually outta there before I can get my gun up. The one came in within 30 seconds of my first sequence and about ran me over!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I cut & paste this every time I see this question - hope this helps;

Go to extactly where you see them in full camo, including a head cover and gloves.

Pattern their movements in the area and learn how to best plan your final approach.

Otherwise, all you will do is educate them - understand............ because they learn quickly !!!

Set-up in good cover with a good view, especially down wind of your location.

You would be wise to bring a low slung chair or at least a cushion, so you can remain motionless for extended periods of time.

Put a stick and strink with a turkey feather on it (any decoy will help - the Mojo Critter is what I use) about 100 feet out front & upwind of your location.

Call softly until you get better or on low for E-callers, (in case they are near by) so you don't blow them out...................they'll know exactly where the call is coming from, so no need to continuing calling once you see them, (remain motionless) lip squeak them in the rest of the way.

Most importantly, you need to see them before they see you !!!

Bring shooting sticks so you can prop your gun on them to steady your shot.

1 in 10 attempts is good for a hawk getting a mousse, so don't get discourged

BTW - 00 buckshot is my suggestion, but you still need to pattern it to find out which of your chokes "works" best.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's more than one way to play a successful series, so don't get too caught up on how long you play a sound compared to how long you are silent, sometimes it works to let it play continuously, sometimes all you need is 20sec of sound in a 10min set. Either can be successful, and if I'm 100% honest, guys usually say the method they use works better, no matter which one they pick. This, of course, applying to distress sounds played over an e-caller. Coyote vocals are a different story. They need to be natural, which in general is very limited sound over longer periods of silence.

FOR A HAND CALLER, when you are calling 1) you are moving, 2) you are drawing attention to yourself, and 3) you aren't 100% focused on watching for coyotes. Handcallers absolutely need to watch more than they call, for those reasons. Depending on how often you call (or at least practice), and how loud you are blowing (and the quality of your calls), you may end up getting pretty dang winded after playing a handcall for a minute straight, which will leave you more shaky on the gun, so that's another twist to consider.

For cats, I let the e-callers play non-stop. It's hard to keep a cat's attention, frankly, they are lazy as he11 and most of them have ADD, so they just act plain weird sometimes. Cat's will hang up because a blade of grass looked at them wrong, so it's good to keep their attention. Decoys help cats much moreso than coyotes. I've blown rodent distress calls for 10-20 sec out of every minute or so before, picturing a housecat playing with a mouse in my head, brought in a couple cats that way. It was almost continuous, and even playing soft mouse squeaks had me out of breath after 20min.

My "prey distress" sequences targeting coyotes are generally about 5min of silence after I get seated, 30sec or so of distress calling, maybe 2-3min of silence between each, 5 if I'm not in a hurry, then hit it again for 30 sec to 1 min. Do that for 15-30min and I'm out. I sit for 5min or so to let any stragglers that I haven't spotted either reveal themselves, or lose interest, then I leave. Rabbit distress series I tend to blow longer, birds shorter, rodent distress pretty short, and usually more close together.