Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Interested? Predator Calling/Hunting Equipment Review Forum? >

Interested? Predator Calling/Hunting Equipment Review Forum?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Interested? Predator Calling/Hunting Equipment Review Forum?

Old 02-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Educational reference, FAQ's, etc would be great too, but in a different format I think than equip reviews.

Two sides of the same coin: 1) what equip to buy and 2) how to effectively use it.

Some of those stickies do make sense in a review forum, like what are the differences in FoxPro models, or should I buy an e-caller or hand calls, but more tactical reference info, like what sound should I use in January, or when are coyote pups born, etc would need a home too?

I'm really excited that the powers that be have been so responsive to my request, so I don't want to seem to be asking for too much, but offering specific equipment reviews, paired with specific educational reference for how to execute might really bring some holding power to hni. Just think of a chuck hawks type reference section tied to a cabelas style equip review section and our resource of users in the discussion forum area, pretty d@mn powerful one stop shop for hunters at all levels.

I see other sites try to do this, but they're all poorly executed, and none have the review component.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Just think of a chuck hawks type reference section tied to a cabelas style equip review section and our resource of users in the discussion forum area, pretty d@mn powerful one stop shop for hunters at all levels.

+1

How do you say "NO" to that !!!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Nomercy, admin has asked how many subforums and for guidelines on them. Since this particular forum has 3 areas grouped together (small game, predators, trapping), there would obviously be a limit on how many sub-forums would be workable, both for moderating and for even a member trying to research a topic.

I understand what you're saying about Cabela's but am not sure that is doable within the HNI format. HNI already has categories and sub-categories of topics. Adding numerous sub-sub-categories would add an awkward # of layers to work through and find one's particular topic.

For our particular project, I like your idea of restricting new topics in the sub-forum review. As a new predator hunter, I am eager to find a resource that can help work through others' 10-20+ years of experience, i.e. finding a good starting e-caller or should I just take the plunge with a more expensive caller. Which calls work on which predators and why, what time of the year, etc. That type of information is invaluable for any hunter and especially for one learning about this type of hunting.

I need to give admin more guidelines or they will be left with just starting something that has to get modified many times and involves too much admin work and frustration for members.

From what you've posted so far, it would seem like we could possibly start with a single sub-forum just for predator hunting (small game and/or trapping could be added separately if there was a demand/need for them). Within this new sub-forum, topics could be run with polls at the top if appropriate/workable (some topics are too complex for a simple poll) and the posts could be restricted to only members who have used the item(s) in the field and their honest opinion based upon such usage.

This sub-forum would/could be moderated to group topics into single topics, such as preferred e-caller and why, and also have the posts in each topic moderated for appropriate content.

I think any sub-forum(s) that are created will inevitably be modified to best serve members' needs but that might be a good (and admin-workable) place to start. I really like the idea as it provides so much more than a Cabelas review page for just Cabelas sold equipment (not trying to pick on Cabelas) and it would enable contributing members and researching members to focus on what works best (or not) and not be restricted to just the product lines that a particular websites sells.

Let me know what you think. Chopayne, please jump in also.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Different visions?

So I think there are two different components here that are under discussion:

1) Educational reference forum (chuck hawks type pages)

2) Equipment review forum (similar to item by item reviews for specific products)

My initial post was regarding item #2, BUT, I think there's value in adding "tactical stickies" for certain topics, which could 1) become their own sub-forum someday, 2) be held as stickies at the top of the small game, pred, trapping discussion, OR 3) within the new "equipment review and reference forum".

Regarding item 2, my vision was this:

The Small Game, Predator, and Trapping forum remains used for discussion as it is used today.

Within the SG,P, &T Forum, the "Equipment Review & Reference Forum", you would find a controlled list of topics, i.e. users can only respond to the existing threads/reviews, or add a new product (which would have to be properly arranged in the thread-stack for order). Discussion threads would get moved either to their specific product in question, or moved to the discussion forum.

These threads would be segmented by type of equipment: calls, decoys, scents, traps/trapping. Not as sub-forums, but only sorted in a certain order, maybe with a bold heading between them to designate the areas.

SO, this means the addition of ONE sub-forum that would be arranged like this:

Type of equipment:
Brand
Model
Model
Model

Brand
Model
Model
Model

Brand
Model
Model
Model

Type of equipment:
Brand
Model
Model
Model

Brand
Model
Model
Model

Brand
Model
Model
Model

And so on and so forth. Obviously, there's more than one way to skin that cat. If having this many threads for every specific model is cumbersome, then you could simply do it by brands, BUT, you lose certain abilities. Say I'm looking for a howler, comparing 3 different models. If everything is grouped by brand, I'd have to sift through Primos' cottontail and jackrabbit call reviews looking for reviews on the Hot Dogg Howler, and equally, I'd have to then go look through MAD Game Calls reviews to sift out the Cherry Howler out of the rest of their product reviews. Much faster to find the pertinent information I'm looking for as a user/consumer if they are separated so I can read reviews about each product, rather than grouped under an entire brand.

Here's an example:

Equipment Review Forum:

Electronic Calls (heading)----------------------------------
Flextone
Echo
Mimic

FoxPro
Spitfire
Wildfire
Hellfire
Firestorm
Fury
Shockwave
Prairie Blaster
Scorpion
CS24B

Johnny Stewart
Attractor
Bloodhound
Executioner
Gallows
Jury

Primos
Alpha Dogg
Boss Dogg
Turbo Dogg

Western Rivers

Hand Calls(heading)----------------------------------------
Buck Gardner

FoxPro/Dillon

Knight & Hale

MAD Game Calls

Mossback
Bounty Hunter
High Plains Drifter

Primos
Female Whimper
Hot Dogg
Lil' Dogg
Ki-Yi
Mini Howler
Randy Anderson Double Cottontail
Randy Anderson Double Jackrabbit
Randy Anderson Third Degree
Still Cottontail

Verminators
Alienator
Long Range Tweety
Thumper
Tweety
Twisted Syco
Stryker
Syco Tweety
Viper

Decoys(heading)-----------------------------------------
Edge
Hare Bawl Screamer
Joker
Quiver Kritter

FoxPro
FoxJack 1 & 2
BlackJack
Jack Attack

Mojo
Critter

Montana
Frantic Fawn
Miss Hoptober

Primos
Sit-N-Spin
Stray Cat
Wobblin' Whabbit
Wooly Bully

Scents(heading)------------------------------------------

Traps/Trapping(heading)-----------------------------------
Duke
Minnesota Trapline Products
Bridger

But that's just my thought, I don't run this joint...
Old 02-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the other hand, the Item 1 I prefaced above, which could serve as a "Chuck Hawks" type reference section:

This is very similar to what we have in the discussion section, so without care, it would get out of hand, or be useless.

I'd envision that the biggest benefit here would be a Sub-forum for "tactics and reference". Yes, I know I said I only wanted ONE, but hear me out, as these are two pretty different animals

In the tactics and reference, these could either be a locked set of posts, where admins (including at the suggestion of users) could start with a single "blog" about a given topic, then ADD users posts that fit that topic. OR, the thread topics could be controlled, but allowing users to respond to the threads to ask questions, add contributions, etc.

These threads could be something like:

"which Foxpro model?", "how to change, add, transfer sounds on a Foxpro caller?", "Handcalls or Electronic?", "Which shotgun load?", "Rifle or shotgun?", "AR vs Bolt action?", "What sounds to use during different times of year?", "What makes a good coyote shotgun?", "what makes a good coyote rifle?", "What bullet/cartridge combo? (we get a lot of these questions, what to use in a .223, what bullet to use in a 30-06, etc)", "how predator set ups are different than big game?", "how to dye traps," "how to make a hole set," "snare vs leg hold," "What scope magnification for predators?", "do it yourself predator gear", etc etc.

The biggest issue here is that these "blog topics" really need one or two or three people that know WTH they're talking about to get the ball rolling on each topic, otherwise it doesn't have the relevancy of someone like Chuck Hawk's page.

Some of those topics are fairly subjective, i.e. "what makes a good rifle/shotgun?", "AR vs. bolt action?" but at least putting the evidence on the table (users opinions at least) might help guide newbies to make up their own mind.

Again, I think this is a different animal than the Equipment Review Forum. This would be more of a tactical reference (and I don't mean "tacticool", I mean "tactics and strategies") to spread some "expert", or at least "experienced" knowledge around to new guys.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I call it sharing; you share with me, I'll share with you.

Thank you Nomercy !!!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

How about "Predator Hunting Tactics, Strategies and Reference" as a sub-forum name? I agree with your conclusions that the sub-forum should include expert or "experienced" (the normal way people gain expertise) opinions on tactics, strategies and reference material. If there is a demand, admin could consider adding separate sub-forums for small game and trapping.

HNI is not likely to completely alter their forum-type format as it is already quite successful, does generate a lot of traffic and would be difficult and costly to change. The sub-forum suggestion you made (which is an outstanding suggestion) gives HNI the flexibility to add an extremely useful collection of information within their existing software format with relatively little additional web support being needed. In other words, it's an easy fix.

Chuck Hawks is a great website and his website layout works well as a reference source for both technical, tactical and opinion information. Chuck is able to achieve that through his control over the entire website and his personal approval (or whoever he so designates) being needed before anything is posted on the website. IOW, chuck's website is a different animal with different capabilities.

The same thing kind of applies to the "Brand, Model, Model, Model, etc." format which is essentially what Cabelas provides within the context of selling all of the equipment while offering members a chance to "review" the item."

What you're proposing would actually take both of those concepts, add in lots of experience and expertise and could eventually become a forerunner for something even better. At this point, however, it's best to get a good start with a simple concept (say 1 initial sub-forum) and let the traffic (# of views) speak for itself. It might take a little longer to build it up but this really does offer something even better.

Consider this. Most novice hunters have a lot of questions about what to buy, where to hunt, how to hunt and what is really required. Many experienced hunters are starting to branch out into other kinds of hunting--predators, small game, archery, etc. Both groups exist at HNI and would both view and benefit from such a sub-forum. For the best success, such a sub-forum would need to provide relevant experience and expertise for both groups and everybody else that is in-between those 2 groups in such a way that each experience level group would benefit and find something "useful for them."

Take the Poll/topic we started about electronic callers. You mentioned that FoxPro is way above the rest. What about a hunter who is just getting into calling? Does he need the $600 FoxPro unit or could he do quite well with the $199 unit and spend the leftover money on something else (like ammo, reloading, etc.). If a member buys the $199 unit, are there limitations or different tactics that he/she will need to use? What are the best tactics/strategies to use? What is plan B? I could go on and on but you get the idea. There is a whole lot of information and expertise that many people could benefit from.

Let me know what you think.
Cal
Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
How about "Predator Hunting Tactics, Strategies and Reference" as a sub-forum name? I agree with your conclusions that the sub-forum should include expert or "experienced" (the normal way people gain expertise) opinions on tactics, strategies and reference material. If there is a demand, admin could consider adding separate sub-forums for small game and trapping.

Like the name, and I think it's a great start. I also agree, if the users participate as I'd expect them to, then demand will likely pop up for a "strategic reference" for several other game-specific forums here at HNI.

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Consider this. Most novice hunters have a lot of questions about what to buy, where to hunt, how to hunt and what is really required. Many experienced hunters are starting to branch out into other kinds of hunting--predators, small game, archery, etc. Both groups exist at HNI and would both view and benefit from such a sub-forum. For the best success, such a sub-forum would need to provide relevant experience and expertise for both groups and everybody else that is in-between those 2 groups in such a way that each experience level group would benefit and find something "useful for them."

Take the Poll/topic we started about electronic callers. You mentioned that FoxPro is way above the rest. What about a hunter who is just getting into calling? Does he need the $600 FoxPro unit or could he do quite well with the $199 unit and spend the leftover money on something else (like ammo, reloading, etc.). If a member buys the $199 unit, are there limitations or different tactics that he/she will need to use? What are the best tactics/strategies to use? What is plan B? I could go on and on but you get the idea. There is a whole lot of information and expertise that many people could benefit from.
To this point, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Specifically in my response to the E-caller poll, I tried to keep my response fairly short, since the question was "which brand of E-caller?", not "which FoxPro E-caller is right for me?" I have answered that question a few times this year in fairly high detail which I think would easily convert over to suit this type of forum.

If so desired, I know a few of us here that could produce pertinent "blog articles" to use as educational reference AND to kick off discussion threads that would provide this type of information, we'd just need to pick the topics to start off with.