HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Interested? Predator Calling/Hunting Equipment Review Forum? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/379068-interested-predator-calling-hunting-equipment-review-forum.html)

Nomercy448 02-15-2013 08:15 AM

Interested? Predator Calling/Hunting Equipment Review Forum?

Since we get so many new guys every year that end up asking the same questions: Hand calls or mouth calls? Which FoxPro to buy? Which mouth calls to buy? Which Decoy? Is _____ call good? Is _____ decoy good? etc etc I'm curious what level of interest there would be in a species specific equipment review sub-forum here?

The idea would be that the forum would be pretty controlled for content, each thread would be one specific brand or even one specific model, users could write reviews, buy/don't buy recommendations, star ratings, whatever about that specific brand/model of call or decoy.

Basically the same idea for product reviews as you'd see attached to specific products at Midwayusa.com, cabelas.com, etc, but HOPEFULLY would avoid some of the typical trash reviews that show up there. It's really common that you can find highly rated items on those sites with a lot of reviews like this: "5 stars: The Mojo Critter is the best decoy on the market. I just started coyote hunting 3months ago, just bought the Mojo last weekend, so I haven't had a chance to use it in the field, but it looks great spinning in my living room." Frankly, that review doesn't help anybody.

Wouldn't include general hunting equipment, like reviews that would answer the question "what shotgun?" "what bipod?", but rather focus on game-specific equipment.

There are a lot of guys here with a lot of experience with different products that could contribute reviews to help out new members. I think, unfortunately, that those guys see the same posts from new guys every year and don't respond to them because there are so many. (January/Feb when deer seasons close up, we always get flooded with the same question from 10 different guys looking to get into coyote calling to extend their seasons). If it could be a "one and done" review, new guys could get refered to that section when they ask the question, and get a lot more info than the few guys that respond to their thread that given week.

I know I would have benefited from a forum like that on the Turkey Hunting forum here a few years ago when my wife started turkey hunting and I had to learn how to call for her, and of course, had to figure out what calls and decoys to buy to do it.

Comments, interest, suggestions?

GTOHunter 02-15-2013 05:36 PM

Sounds pretty good to me Nomercy....there are several specific items I have tried out for Predator Hunting and have had either good or bad luck from using certain products and have first hand experience from using them!

It would be a very good idea to help other Hunters out this way.

Sheridan 02-15-2013 05:57 PM

I like the idea also .........!

Generally, I never bother reading the 5 star reviews _ I got it they love it.

I always read the bad reviews and than decided if that guy is a nut or did he have a legitmate complaint (BTW - no gender implied).

Lastly, most of us who have been on here for a while tend to look to certain people for "good" advise.

Remember; it's easy to spend a lot of money to "insure" quality..............what most of us want is the "best for the money" !

skb2706 02-16-2013 04:12 PM

I shoot a forty year old rifle I built from parts, everything but the barrel is used. Use a scope I took off a rifle I inherited. My camo came from the thrift store. I load my own ammo using components I bought in the eighties. My calls were made by friends and I kill more than my share of coyotes.

Hey I'm all in with those reviews.

I do have nice binos.

Oh and I have a used foxpro my wife bought me for years ago.

weekender 02-16-2013 04:21 PM

sounds good to me, I would read the forum

Nomercy448 02-16-2013 04:24 PM

Skb's post is basically my point. Not everybody has had the luxury of having a forty year old rifle with a take-off scope and buddies that make calls, so we often get these questions for "I don't have this item yet, what should I buy that will work and not waste my money?"

While more experienced members may not benefit, that's not the target audience for equipment reviews anyway. The experienced members are who can offer the experienced advice.

skb2706 02-16-2013 04:30 PM

Actually you are correct. I thought it funny looking at the pile of gear I just unloaded from the truck and then reading your thread. I do have some pretty good gear but it was years in the making. I say go for it. Today was a bust for me so maybe I need some new stuff.

torquemada055 02-19-2013 03:27 PM

Well after finding this place by accident and finally wanting to learn to hunt at age 52 after being medically retired for my knees and back, I would appreciate the information on products that work.

I finally did buy an actual "hunting rifle", a Savage in .308 w/scope.
It's still flat matte and synthetic.

I figure I can hunt almost anything with it. I do have a .223 for smaller game.

Sheridan 02-19-2013 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by torquemada055 (Post 4037427)
Well after finding this place by accident and finally wanting to learn to hunt at age 52 after being medically retired for my knees and back, I would appreciate the information on products that work.

I finally did buy an actual "hunting rifle", a Savage in .308 w/scope.
It's still flat matte and synthetic.

I figure I can hunt almost anything with it. I do have a .223 for smaller game.

You sound like you ARE pretty much set !!! LOL

Now ~ go get'em....................!

CalHunter 02-19-2013 07:11 PM

I like the idea Nomercy448. I can ask admin if you'd like.