Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit hunting without dogs

Old 01-13-2013, 01:59 AM
Spike

You're probably going to want to carry a .410 and be prepared to put in some miles. My best luck has come with jumping on brush piles and being lucky enough to be facing the right way when they come running out.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey all, first post.

I hunt Rabbits solo here in SD on public land... it's great because most seasons are over, but Rabbits go until the end of Feb, meaning 99% of the time I'm the only guy out.

I love grabbing the .22 and heading out to try to catch them sitting, but this late in the season and harsh SoDak weather makes that a tough proposition at times.

Long story short: Solo hunting Rabbits, grab a shotgun and stomp some brush for a higher chance of taking game. Grab the .22 if you want a challenge.

Or, if you're like me... bring both (leave one in the truck) and curse the gods when you realize you're carrying the wrong gun for the current situation.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Its called Falconry! Make the bird do it for you! or You can kick brush like the rest of us.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rabbit hunting w/o dogs... I didn't know there was such a thing!