Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Best round for yotes

Old 12-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Spike

I've got a 22-250 but it won't group worth a crap! It's a Rossi breakover with a bull barrel and a cheap scope. I've tried several different types of ammo and nothing seems to group well for me.

My 204 is a Remington 700 and it's also got the bull barrel and with the flat fore-stock, so it weighs a ton and get's really heavy after luggin it around the woods for a while. I may start using this gun if I know I'm not gonna be humpin it to far.

The gun I've been using lately is my Ruger Ranch mini-14. It's light, durable and resonably accurate out to 100-150yds, I'm sure the gun will shoot 200yds plus, just not sure I can.

Here's a pic of the last yote I got with that Ruger Mini-14

Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good work !

Go a head and sell that .22-250, if it don't shoot worth a damm !

You are going to want to use that .204 as your long range predator gun !!! :-)

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-31-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Spike

Depending on the range, my votes for the 17hmr. I know there is usually alot of debate over it. There are some guys who have taken coyotes with it at 150 yards and others that say no way. After my personal experience today, im sold. Idk about 150 yards unless its from a great shooter but 100 yards i could see. My shot was around 30 yards and the amount of damage was suprising.
Attached Thumbnails Best round for yotes-coyote2.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VAriverman
I've got a 22-250 but it won't group worth a crap! It's a Rossi breakover with a bull barrel and a cheap scope. I've tried several different types of ammo and nothing seems to group well for me.

My 204 is a Remington 700 and it's also got the bull barrel and with the flat fore-stock, so it weighs a ton and get's really heavy after luggin it around the woods for a while. I may start using this gun if I know I'm not gonna be humpin it to far.

The gun I've been using lately is my Ruger Ranch mini-14. It's light, durable and resonably accurate out to 100-150yds, I'm sure the gun will shoot 200yds plus, just not sure I can.

Here's a pic of the last yote I got with that Ruger Mini-14

Note:cheap scope and poor groups. May be a correlation.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VAriverman
I've also got a 22-250, but the ammo is so #$% expensive, I hate to even shoot that gun less I have too!

I shoot the hornady vmax. It's about $22 for a box of 20. That's $1.10 per shot....and if you are going through that many boxes of ammo to make it expensive, you are either putting up a lot of fur (great!), to which ammo price doesn't really matter at that point. Or you are missing a lot, and misses are wasted time/money out of any gun....

Now if we were talking about a 257 weatherby mag at $70/ox I could understand. Can't afford to sight those in....
Old 02-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cheap and effective... 7.62 x 54r
Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

If your not keeping there pelts use what ever weapon you have ammo for. My last few trips I been using a 300RUM. Good way to keep proficient with anything you have.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

With a shotgun, it is definitely Dead Coyote from HeviShot...