Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Sure slow around here? Coyotes yet?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sure slow around here? Coyotes yet?

Usually by this time a year a lot of guys are getting their deer on the ground and picking up their smallbores and heading out after coyotes, but the conversation really hasn't picked up, what gives?

Guys not feeling the predator calling itch this year?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

My deer season starts next weekend...with any luck I will get my buck and then do a few sets.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Not to hijack your thread, but is this a good time to coyote hunt? Ive called in a few in the summer, just because they are nuisances( harassing livestock or hanging around the barns, but typically my coyote kills have been opportunistic.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I deer hunt the prairie and in order not to mess that up I generally don't start coyote hunting out there til thats over.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

My deer meat is already in the frig and have put a few coyotes in the dirt since.

Just let a "smaller" bobcat walk this past Friday.

Shot quail on saturday, but always bring a rifle in case I see a dog while I'm out there.

Saw a few, but either not on our property or out at 800/1,000 yards.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
every coyote you let walk messes with your deer hunting at least in wv it does, saw 2 coyotes last week deer hunting, both were chasing deer.
RR
We don't let coyotes "walk"....... ever. I don't actively pursue them in fertile deer country, private farm land until after mid December. Thru March I can bang em up pretty good. This is open country, no trees and minimal cover.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew Sheridan would be out after them by now! Figured Ridge would be too.

Our rifle deer season opens Wednesday, we (wife and I) already have 2 doe in the freezer, but we're hoping our rifles can find a couple bucks this weekend since they've been hanging out just out of range of our sticks and strings and pointy things.

KS is open season on coyotes year round, so I tend to go exclusive during deer season, then pick up the prime yotes after we get some meat in the freezer.

OhioNovice: Yes, this is the time of year to be calling coyotes. Coyotes aren't worth jack during the summer (not that they're worth anything during the winter either), so the "prime" hunting time is during the winter when they are all furred up and primed out (lush, thick undercoats). Depending on your area, this is also getting to be the easier time to call, because the young dogs (born this spring) aren't really bright yet, and food is getting more and more scarce as the weather changes and snow blankets the ground.

I'll generally agree, a coyote in range when there's a weapon in my hand is a dead coyote, regardless of the time of year. Would feel the same (as a 5th generation American cattle rancher) regardless of whether season were open all year or not. I'd kill 'em with a pointy stick if i could throw one accurately enough.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

One more question...

If I plug a yote while Deer hunting, can I basically call my day done? Thats the only time Ive let coyotes walk is when I dont want to get out of the stand as to not scare deer, but then again I guess the coyote is doing that for me,
Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Fork Horn

I have been out twice so far and have came up empty handed both times. First time the forcast was for winds of 0-10mph and by 7:00AM it was 15mph sustained and gusting over 20.
The second time out I had two sets where I had coyote sitting just out of sight howling but I couldn't get them in. The last set of the day I was attacked by a pair of Ravens which first attacked my caller and decoy and then was diving at me.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Spike

I was walking to my deer stand this afternoon and seen a yote prolly 50 yards or so walking away from me, about the time i put my scope on him he sat down and started scratchin his head right in front of a tree, i kinda side stepped to the left for a better shot but he hauled ass before i raised my gun. Im really surprised i got that close to him.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.