HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sure slow around here? Coyotes yet?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I knew Sheridan would be out after them by now! Figured Ridge would be too.

Our rifle deer season opens Wednesday, we (wife and I) already have 2 doe in the freezer, but we're hoping our rifles can find a couple bucks this weekend since they've been hanging out just out of range of our sticks and strings and pointy things.

KS is open season on coyotes year round, so I tend to go exclusive during deer season, then pick up the prime yotes after we get some meat in the freezer.

OhioNovice: Yes, this is the time of year to be calling coyotes. Coyotes aren't worth jack during the summer (not that they're worth anything during the winter either), so the "prime" hunting time is during the winter when they are all furred up and primed out (lush, thick undercoats). Depending on your area, this is also getting to be the easier time to call, because the young dogs (born this spring) aren't really bright yet, and food is getting more and more scarce as the weather changes and snow blankets the ground.

I'll generally agree, a coyote in range when there's a weapon in my hand is a dead coyote, regardless of the time of year. Would feel the same (as a 5th generation American cattle rancher) regardless of whether season were open all year or not. I'd kill 'em with a pointy stick if i could throw one accurately enough.