Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Is shooting cats wrong?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Beard Buster
I think that regardless of your view on this subject, posting about it on a public forum is a bad idea and gives anyone who is opposed to shooting or hunting a ton of ammunition. It could also turn moderate people off to hunting even though taking care of feral pests is not hunting necessarily. People, come on. Do I like cats wiping out wildlife? Absolutely not. Do I post that I shoot them on here and ask whether it is right or wrong? Once again, absolutely not. For one, it is in essence self incrimination if shooting cats is illegal in your state. I wish this one would be deleted.
That's a strong point & I'd have to agree it's probably not a good place to be discussing this very real and legitimate problem of feral cats. We also have pets, and the at the same time I totally understand the damage both pets, and feral cats/dogs can and will do to wildlife. I believe this is a topic better discussed with your hunting buddies in private, or your local gun/archery club. This is true, the anti's will use whatever we give them to push their agenda. Not unlike any other group/government etc.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Beard Buster
I think that regardless of your view on this subject, posting about it on a public forum is a bad idea and gives anyone who is opposed to shooting or hunting a ton of ammunition. It could also turn moderate people off to hunting even though taking care of feral pests is not hunting necessarily. People, come on. Do I like cats wiping out wildlife? Absolutely not. Do I post that I shoot them on here and ask whether it is right or wrong? Once again, absolutely not. For one, it is in essence self incrimination if shooting cats is illegal in your state. I wish this one would be deleted.
I was going to post my opinion on the OP, but you do make a really good point. It's sad, though, that the owners let their cat roam about, or that the cat's feral in the first place.

I would at least suggest to OP to see if they can rent a trap from the animal shelter and try to catch it (I assume someone else suggested that, hopefully).
Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by craig
Anyone who brags about how many cats they kill, or score extra "points" for a collared one is a fool.

And if they shot a Maine Coon I own, they can count on the lawsuit being only a beginning.

I hope those shooting collared pets get what they deserve. And that in my book would be a neighbor who'd now despise them with a great deal of passion and repay them at every chance & every way they can find.

Read all 7 pages, every post & am really disgusted at the number posting that believe the sss way of life is the way to go.

X2 I agree 100%
Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

There ya go RR, ya might be on to something there. Live trap them and take them to the animal shelter.

To share some of my experiences with these shelters: these shelters handle literally hundreds of cats. Recently, one of the shelters near here took in 103 cats from a neighboring county. Thereafter, I spoke with another shelter 3hrs away, they had just sent over 60 cats to another shelter near them. These feral cats wouldn't be adoption candidates, so they'd be terminated without question, no option for adoption.

So there's one way to go to keep some of these soft-hearts at bay, since for some reason they seem to think that being poisoned slowly by pink-juice (replaced the old "blue-juice") is so much more humane than a super-sonic pill.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
the mrs has 2 that I tolerate, however, I have learned that cats that are fed catfood with all the stuff in it to make them eat more, lose all desire to hunt, these we have won't catch a mouse if it runs over them, so if they are hunting, they are most likely feral.
RR
Simply not true. I have two well fed cats and they still kill birds, mice and whatever doesn't get away. One is over 14 yo. According to the IL DNR, the house cat is the #1 predator of quail over coyotes, coons, possums, etc. in Illinois. Also, studies have proven cats kill to kill. It doesn't matter whether they are hungry or not.

I too agree that this thread needs to go away. Not portraying huntingnet.com posters in a good light - at least some of you that feel the need to tell their stories.

Last edited by rogerstv; 01-22-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like the previous post is saying his cats are out and about if they're "killing birds, mice, and whatever doesn't get away"! Then he comes right back in the next couple of sentences telling us why they aren't liked because of the way they are and what they do "just because they're cats"! I would agree that there have been a few "overboard" statements on the thread like "extra points for collars", but there will almost always be some of that on any discussion and hopefully it's kept to a minimum.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-22-2013 at 10:41 AM.