Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Is shooting cats wrong?

Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 AM
JasmineRice

Here I would like to say we don’t have any rights to shoot others cats. So better thing is go and complain their owner once and worn them to take care of their cats and not to send for others houses or else gardens.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JasmineRice
Here I would like to say we don’t have any rights to shoot others cats. So better thing is go and complain their owner once and worn them to take care of their cats and not to send for others houses or else gardens.
Here I would like to say.............goodnight kitty.....
Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

I myself am a pet lover, I have owned dogs and cats,
I looked up the meaning of the word pet in the dictionary here is what it means. "an animal kept for amusment or companionship"

1--So if your cat or dog craps in you yard, you may find it a amusing but when they do there business in my yard that to me is not amusing

2-- the word companionship in the dictionary means "to accompany" ( or to go with). so one could say that an animal that is not in the company of ones owner may perhaps be considered " Not their Pet "

Hope this helps a little.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 AM
Fork Horn

Thats being a nice neighbor, shooting someone else's pet. I could understand if you had told them, then they did it again and you took it to court or tried other methods before shooting somoenes dog. This forum focuses on shooting and hunting ethically like not shooting at an animal if youre only going to wound it and have it run away. But it seems like alot of you just turn a blind eye to whats against the law in shooting dogs or cats. Thats a real grown up thing to do and a real nice way to go about life.

"Collars are extra 5 pts" really? You should grow up.

I could maybe understand if it had happened repeatedly over months or years and no action had taken part by the owner and your wildlife kept getting hurt, but pets get out.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:11 AM
Spike

I can't shoot dogs. If someone shot my dog on purpose I'd take them to court because thats the only legal way to handle it .

I hate cats though,they are a pain in the @$$. My parents have a couple and they are so damn lazy about the only they thing they get is an occasional mouse near the house or a dumb small birl that flys into where they are sleeping.
Other cats are good for target practice .
Old 01-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot a couple of feral dogs down on a big ranch in south Texas because there was no doubt they were not a pet and they were running deer. I've only shot one cat in all my 60 years in the field and it lacked a collar and was obviously hunting on our private property where we were rabbit hunting with our beagles at the time. If we're talking about dogs and cats running loose in the neighborhood we live in, then it's best to find out who their owner is, if possible, because it's their fault the animal is running at large and not the animal that should suffer.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Anyone who brags about how many cats they kill, or score extra "points" for a collared one is a fool.

And if they shot a Maine Coon I own, they can count on the lawsuit being only a beginning.

I hope those shooting collared pets get what they deserve. And that in my book would be a neighbor who'd now despise them with a great deal of passion and repay them at every chance & every way they can find.

Read all 7 pages, every post & am really disgusted at the number posting that believe the sss way of life is the way to go.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a fun twist:

About 10yrs ago, I started to see a HUGE surge of feral cats in our area. There were dozens of cats showing up that none of my neighbors or I had any idea where they came from.

Our inital thought was that they were simply feral cats that were for some reason surviving better that year.

Then every farm/ranch within miles had ringworm pop up in horses and cattle, rabbit populations dropped off, cats were getting into EVERYONE's garages, sheds, etc etc. So farmers/ranchers started clearing out feral cats.

But more and more kept coming, we made a concerted effort to kill them off, as the ringworm deal was getting way out of hand, but we just couldn't get ahead of it.

Then we figured out what was going on. A gal that lived nearby worked at a county humane society shelter. Rather than destroying cats that weren't adopted, she was turning them loose out in the country, unknowingly causing all of our problems.

We confronted her, let her know she was causing issues, told her that what she was doing was illegal, and let her know what WE were doing to mitigate the problems she was causing, and she did stop. Everything basically came back to normal.

There's a difference between shooting an invasive species (feral cats, hogs, pythons in the glades, frogs, rabbits in australia, etc et), and shooting someone's pet.

If I see a collared animal, I try to get it to come to me, as it's clearly a pet. If it comes, I make some phone calls, and try to figure out who owns it. We've picked up a few farm dogs that nobody claimed and I didn't want to see destroyed at the animal shelter.

If a collared animal doesn't come, then I let it walk, occasionally even set out a live trap with some food trying to capture it. Make some phone calls to neighbors to see if they know whose dog it might be.

I know most of my neighbors dogs.

If a collared dog is caught in the act of killing one of my livestock, if I KNOW the dog, I might give my neighbor the benefit of the doubt to compensate me for the livestock once, and I warn them that I will protect my livestock if they don't do better to restrain their animal. Having my neighbors dog chase my horses around is one thing, I can live with that. Having a neighbors dog kill 10 goats in a summer because they can't keep it on a leash is another thing. No two free passes.

If a non-collared animal, or an animal that I don't recognize is in the act of harrassing/killing my livestock, it's dead. Period.

If feral dogs or feral cats become an issue, then all of my neighbors and I generally agree that they need to be dealt with, and we do.

There have been times where we didn't mind feral dogs running around. One of the neighbors dogs ran off, and never would stay home even if any of us caught it, but it never did any harm. Her name was Bob, because my neighbors Son liked the name and didn't realize Bob was a boys name and the dog was a girl. Bob ran wild for a while, was very friendly, but would never stay put whenever we caught her. Eventually, we started seeing pups running with her, which we all started calling "Bob" also. The neighbor lady always left food out for them, but they'd span about a 10mi radius between all of our farms. About the 3rd or fourth generation of "bob pups" (maybe 5-6yrs later) started getting a little wiley and would tear down goats and sheep, so we had to clean them up, but the first few batches seemed to be "respectful" and never caused any issues, so all of us local farmers/ranchers agreed: live and let live.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Well said NoMercy
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

I think that regardless of your view on this subject, posting about it on a public forum is a bad idea and gives anyone who is opposed to shooting or hunting a ton of ammunition. It could also turn moderate people off to hunting even though taking care of feral pests is not hunting necessarily. People, come on. Do I like cats wiping out wildlife? Absolutely not. Do I post that I shoot them on here and ask whether it is right or wrong? Once again, absolutely not. For one, it is in essence self incrimination if shooting cats is illegal in your state. I wish this one would be deleted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.