Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Is shooting cats wrong?

Old 06-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Feral cats really put a hurting on the turkey & pheasant hatchlings in my area. I have seen one particular black cat stalking during deer archery season the last two years in a row. If I see it this fall..... judo point. We were just starting to get a good turkey population and it gives me chills thinking these cats are more than likely eating the new hatchlings. I wouldn't want to shoot a cat with a collar because it may be a child's pet. But this one particular cat is feral or the next thing to it. (barn cat, whatever). DNR officer told me they have been trapping them at Chain o' Lakes state park because of the very same reasons. He told me he shoots every cat he sees if he's out in the woods. Just saying..... to each his own. But to answer the question... NO, I DON'T THINK IT IS WRONG if it is a feral, or a cat allowed to roam the woods killing everything it can.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

BP , think of my solution as relocation.

I take them to a better place....
Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 AM
Spike

I even got a cat dragging a mature rabbit last year on the trail cam. I also have chickens so I don't need cats around.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Spike

was deer hunting on about 5 or 6 inches of snow 3 days old decided to cruise the woods . the snow was covered with cat tracks in the woods probably walked about 1/2 mi was never out of sight of tracks. wonder where all the quail have gone? had never seen a cat on this place from several tree stands in 20 + years of deer hunting . i think if you see them in daylight they are house pets and the feral cats are nocturnal. if i see one in the early dark he is dead , hot sako 243
Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cats

can kill anything small that can move. Of course, many people reduce them to calendar art.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

No. As long as the neighbor lady isn't holding it while you are trying to do it!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.freep.com/usatoday/articl...CFRONTPAGE%7Cp

To sum it up, "The cats brought home just under a quarter of what they killed, ate 30% and left 49% to rot where they died."
-Jake
Old 08-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If there's a housing subdivision nearby, and the cat looks well fed...no shoot.

If I'm in a forest reserve, several miles from houses...shoot
Old 08-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with Second Chance, LOL! I don't give a rip if they have a collar on. If they are allowed to roam off the owner's property, as far as I'm concerned, they're fair game. People are supposed to keep their dogs licensed with rabies shots, etc. and on their property. Yet it seems as though many people with cats seem to think they can just let them out to roam wherever they feel like. That to me is BS and they get what they deserve because that cat will kill whatever moves and is small enough for it to catch, whether it's a rabbit, quail, pheasant, turkey polts, etc.!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-07-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting cats no. suggesting you do so on an open public forum, definitely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.