Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Need tips on Hunting Coyotes (WI) on my property >

Need tips on Hunting Coyotes (WI) on my property

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Need tips on Hunting Coyotes (WI) on my property

Old 02-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need tips on Hunting Coyotes (WI) on my property

Hi, veteran hunter here, mainly into bowhunting, very strict on scent eliminators. Overview of my property is 40 acres, select cut 7 years ago, thick in some areas, creek running through the center of it with thick cover along the crick. some open areas witha small pond on 2 ends of the property. would have to bring them in to about 50-60 yards for a shot at night. 100 during daylight. just wondering what the best way to call/ attract them in during feb. -march in wisconsin, any tips would help. we've got an overpopulation of various predators taking out our grouse deer and turkey.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

As always scouting is job one.Either they're there or not.Look for tracks,scat,carcass remains and of course a good prey pop.Try howling at night or sunrise/sunset.Just be set up and ready in case they're close before you begin any calling.Good luck!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah the sign is up big time, got tons of trail cam pics more coyotes then deer, found one carcass so far of a yearling doe. Tried the rabbit squiller the other night without any luck.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do some light calling and watch and wait patiently,limit movement and try a few different calls.If You have that many Coyotes in your area its just a matter of time before one comes in and You'll have a chance at putting one down.I've been seeing more Coyotes on my trail camera and they have been active late evenings,night,early mornings and mid-day around 11:30 so it seems they are out and about more.

Sometimes a good motion Decoy will help to get a Coyote/Predator in when they don't seem to be moving much,put it where they can see it in an open area or from further away to draw them in...even a simple feather on a string is better than nothing at at all and it will keep their attention on it and not looking for movement from Your position.I like using my exisiting ladder stands so I can see further and over any tall grass or thick area's.

A nice Electronic Caller is helpful but if its too expensive invest some money in the mouth calls and possibly a Howler/Barking call.Primo's make some nice ones that are easy to use and usually come with a DVD so You can learn the right sound to make and its fun to call in a Coyote on your own.You can also make a simple E-Caller by using Your MP3 player or cell phone using a few cheap items from Radio Shack...there was a article in the last Petersons Hunting magazine about what to get and how to set it up.

Update:
I was wrong...The homemade E-Caller was shown in the Feb 2012 Issue of Outdoor Life Magazine!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 02-27-2012 at 09:23 AM.