Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Best Predator mouth call for my area? >

Best Predator mouth call for my area?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Best Predator mouth call for my area?

Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best Predator mouth call for my area?

I live in Maine and around where i live theres little to no rabbits and the rabbits we have are Snowshoe Hare, and i cant find a SnowShoe Hare mouth call.

So i was wondering whats a good mouth call or type of mouth call for coyotes in my area.

I have a Cotton tail mouth call and i tried it about 7 different times with no sucess and i know there's coyotes around because there's tons of tracks and i got some trail camera pictures of some.

When i did try the Cotton tail call i used it like they do on some youtube videos i found demonstrating it.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd assume a jackrabbit distress call would match pitch on the larger snowshoe hare better than a cottontail distress.

Honestly, I'd say the SOUND isn't nearly as important as the emotion of the call. One of my most productive calls is a Verminator Syco Tweety (or Twisted Syco), which doesn't really sound like any specific animal, but DEFINITELY sounds like SOMETHING DYING brutally, which ultimately is all that matters.

So I'd say grab a Primos Double Jack Rabbit Distress call and try that.

You might also try fawn distress or bird distress. I've never had much luck with fawn distress (and never used it much either), but certain times of year, I hear it's quite productive. Bird distress can work very well. Learn to play a woodpecker distress and you might try that. Small, shrill, high pitched rodent distress is another option.

Frankly, again, the sound itself isn't as important as how it's played. The deeper pitch, the larger animal it usually represents, which represents a more difficult target for the coyote.

One interesting tid bit you might consider... Freshly fed coyotes are not often responsive to a call. Try scouting a bit and just listen. If you can find out when the dogs are socializing (serenading) and moving, then think about when they are HUNTING. You'll need to be calling either before their hunts, or significantly afterwards so they're hungry/interested again.

Another thing I would say. Stop educating your coyotes asap. If you're calling the same spot with the same call 7 times and nothing comes, they'll likely NEVER come. You've taught those dogs exactly what your call sounds like, and gave them good reason to continue to ignoring it.

Another sound you can try this month, since it's mating season, is female invitation howling. You can even use a male response howl to immitate an intruding male taking interest in the female response to further encourage a local male to investigage. I tried the Primos Female Whimper call last breeding season, seemed to work well enough, but took a lot of work bringing them in.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Many open plastic reed mouth calls like say the Tally-Ho (my favorite) can make any rabbit/hare scream you want just by moving where you apply pressure on the reed and using your vocal chords to add some coarseness.I would suggest trying right after there's some fresh snow on the ground.Set up in a cross wind position rather than wind in your face.If nothing comes scout all around your location out to about 60-70yds to see if they slipped down wind or maybe caught some movement.Don't underestimate them.Coyote's are very smart.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll just repeat what Nomercy said; It's all about emotion !

Start softy and build the sound like you're in a panic.

I try to minic a baby crying....................

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/?source=overture

Last edited by Sheridan; 02-14-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks a lot i'll try to find a new call and probably a new place to hunt.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

We don't have Jackrabbits here in Missouri....but I've called in Coyotes using one of the calls,as several mentioned here its all about the realism and emotion put into using a Call....and if there's even a Coyote in range to hear You using it?

Main thing is to start out softly in case a Coyote is bedded down nearby,they work it up a little louder and trying different calls to change it up a bit.Most Coyotes will circle down-wind when coming in to Your calling so You have to watch the wind direction when calling also,if Your Barking/Howling they may come in from any direction so always be watching slowly/carefuly for movement.

Some times going in quietly and not calling works if You have educated them into your calling or just being in the area.I always wear my rubber boots and spray down my Camo Clothes after taking a shower in scent-free soap....lots of things can better Your odds at getting a Coyote.