Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Northern Colorado Coyotes?

Old 10-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Spike

Default Northern Colorado Coyotes?

I'm wanting to do some coyote calling this winter. I live in Northern Colorado. I tried a little bit in the Pawnee Grasslands last year, didn't have much luck. I have Elk and Deer hunted in the Red Feathers/Cherokee Park area and seen lots of yotes there. So I'm thinking of trying that area next. Any advice on good places around the front range to go, or calls and tactics would be greatly appreciated! I'm a lifelong hunter but new to yote callin... Thanks...
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

From what I have read and heard on the Predator Hunting Video's is that the "Set Up" is the main thing to learn if You want to be succesful.In other words You need to possibly scout the area first then figure out where You think the Coyotes will come in from and most of all check the wind direction.When calling You need to be up-wind from where they may come in,when calling they will more than likely circle and come from down-wind to try an smell whats making the sound...if they smell You its over and they may very well leave and You never even knew they were there?

Other things to consider is are You scent-free...did You take measures to keep Your scent down so they don't smell You as easily?Are You wearing Camo to conceal You better,using a camo blend/color that matches the surroundings or even snow camo in the winter time,sitting in the shadows and not making a lot of movement to give away your position,when going in to Hunt are You quiet and slipping in un-detected....lots of different things to consider that never crossed my mind until we kept making different mistakes and learning as we went and also reading more and watching a few Primo's Predator Hunting Video's that give lots of great advice for Us new Novice Predator Hunters!

Try using different Predator Calls,some Hunters start out with a Coyote Howl in the early mornings or late evenings then progress to a Rabbit in distress call,Bird call,Cat call or even a call sounding like a Coyote fighting a Fox.Try different things and if Your Hunting with a Partner You can call up-wind and they can sit down-wind and possibly have a much better chance getting a Coyote or other Predator like a Fox or Bobcat depending on whats in Season?

Last edited by GTOHunter; 11-20-2011 at 09:59 AM.