Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Knight & Hale predator calls falling off? >

Knight & Hale predator calls falling off?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Knight & Hale predator calls falling off?

Old 10-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Knight & Hale predator calls falling off?

I don't know if it's universal across all of their calls, but as far as their predator calls go, I wanna know what gives?

I have a few K&H predator calls from 10-15yrs ago that I've used off and on ever since. They were a little soft (assuming compacted nylon bodies), so they don't have as crisp of squeal as I'd like, say from an acrylic or hardwood call, but they're durable, high quality calls, and they do the job well. I've used these calls over the years to KO a ton of coyotes.

However, I picked up 3 new Knight & Hale calls a few weeks ago (the new translucent "acrylic" hourglass shaped bodies, new for 2011), and I have to say, I'm more than disappointed .

The bodies are harder plastic, which would have improved the crispness, but they're too thin, so they sound more "plastic-y" than the older K&H calls. The nylon bell threads into the mouthpiece, but is really poorly fit (and is also too thin), so the calls are really breathy. Out of the package, I could tighten the threads as far as I could by hand, plug the mouthpiece outlet, and blow air through the threads on all 3. I added some teflon tape to seal the threads, and it solved the problem, but in my opinion, that's not something a call should NEED to function.

Out of the box, the red "Ultimate Predator" model would take all the air I had and never make a sound. I had to pull it apart, use it as an open reed to figure out what it was supposed to sound like, then trim the reed and add an o-ring to make it work. Still an incredibly breathy call (1/2" wide reed with ONE flute/air channel in the tone board). Not so sadly, on my 3rd or 4th trip afield with these calls I broke the body of the "Ultimate Predator" in the bottom of my pack. Not a big loss, but still frustrating. Coyote calls should be a lot tougher than these flimsy things.

Ultimately, I only bought them to try them out, since I already have too many predator calls, but as it stands, I'm pretty sad that I spent money on them.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 10-29-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great...I just recieved about 3 of the same type Calls You mentioned.I don't have that many older Predator Calls to tell they weren't made that good?I do have the Primo's "Catnip" caller and it was giving me a few problems but it seems to be working fine now?

I would call Primo's 1-800 number and complain about the quality of the sounds and overall quality and let them know how You feel...I heard they are pretty good about standing behind their products!I'd even send the broken Caller back to them to get a refund or replacement call?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
Great...I just recieved about 3 of the same type Calls You mentioned.I don't have that many older Predator Calls to tell they weren't made that good?I do have the Primo's "Catnip" caller and it was giving me a few problems but it seems to be working fine now?

I would call Primo's 1-800 number and complain about the quality of the sounds and overall quality and let them know how You feel...I heard they are pretty good about standing behind their products!I'd even send the broken Caller back to them to get a refund or replacement call?
Actually, my complaint is about Knight & Hale Calls, not Primos. In fact, the laminated body Primos Double Reed calls (Double Jackrabbit and Double Cottontail) are far and a way my favorite factory predator calls.

After spending some time on Knight & Hale's website, I'm seeing that they've transitioned most of their "new" calls towards this thin, translucent, "acrylic", hour-glass shaped mouthpiece design. They're using this body design for predator calls, deer calls, elk, bear, hog, coon, etc etc. Frankly, the poor experience I've had with these 3 predator calls will definitely steer me away from using ANY of the Knight & Hale calls with this body (vast majority of their current product line).

Alas, Knight & Hale, we had a good run, but these cheaply made calls will be the last of my business you'll be seeing...