Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Triple Dog Dare *PIC*

Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Default Triple Dog Dare *PIC*

Gang,

I started out late as I took my son to a hockey game and then drove 1 hour to my calling destination. The first farm produced 3 fox at once and an unidentified predator.

The second farm was great as I had a coyote instantly bolt across the field after 1 lone howl from my Lohman howler. He would not stop and I could not pull the trigger. In a huff, I played coyote pup distress and was delighted to see two pairs of eyes racing in. I blasted the lead dog, at eighty yards, before he got to my scent cone. I let the Fury play, and did some "barks" with my mouth, and scanned for the other dog. He raced back up the hillside and I quickly found him in the scope. His head was bouncing up and down. I found him on the up swing and hit him!

I walked over and found both dogs laying down touching each other!! As I took pics, another dog was scolding me from the woods below. I decided to leave and return in the morning - I left the coyotes right there, as well.

I missed a coyote at another farm.

At 6:00 AM, I returned to find the scolding dog. Sure enough, he started challenge barking at me as soon as I made my way across the field. I actually saw another coyote run - at mach speed - across the field in front of me. I paid no attention to it as I wanted to set up on the howler.

Upon reaching the hedgrow, I set up and howled once. That set the coyote into a barking and challenge barking frenzy that lasted for a solid hour. I was tracking the coyotes position from his non-stop barking and howling - just like a turkey hunter listening to a gobbler sound off.

Every 20 minutes, I would emit a couple of barks from the Fury.

At 7:15 AM, I noticed the coyote trotting inside the woods. I barked once more and then the coyote made his way to the edge of the woods. The sun was just glistening on his chest and I wasted no time taking the shot, which was at a distance of 240-300 yards (I'll go back to verify). I walked over and found the 38 pound reddish - looking coyote!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like you had a fun nite. Good post!
-Jake
Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats an awesome story man! Great dogs, I didn't see you did a post about it until now, That was a great tactic to back out and come back in, Were you holding the Fury then I'm assuming?

on a side note I played hockey all my life, good to hear the youth are still interested.

Ryan.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bhw
Gang,

I started out late as I took my son to a hockey game and then drove 1 hour to my calling destination. The first farm produced 3 fox at once and an unidentified predator.

The second farm was great as I had a coyote instantly bolt across the field after 1 lone howl from my Lohman howler. He would not stop and I could not pull the trigger. In a huff, I played coyote pup distress and was delighted to see two pairs of eyes racing in. I blasted the lead dog, at eighty yards, before he got to my scent cone. I let the Fury play, and did some "barks" with my mouth, and scanned for the other dog. He raced back up the hillside and I quickly found him in the scope. His head was bouncing up and down. I found him on the up swing and hit him!

I walked over and found both dogs laying down touching each other!! As I took pics, another dog was scolding me from the woods below. I decided to leave and return in the morning - I left the coyotes right there, as well.

I missed a coyote at another farm.

At 6:00 AM, I returned to find the scolding dog. Sure enough, he started challenge barking at me as soon as I made my way across the field. I actually saw another coyote run - at mach speed - across the field in front of me. I paid no attention to it as I wanted to set up on the howler.

Upon reaching the hedgrow, I set up and howled once. That set the coyote into a barking and challenge barking frenzy that lasted for a solid hour. I was tracking the coyotes position from his non-stop barking and howling - just like a turkey hunter listening to a gobbler sound off.

Every 20 minutes, I would emit a couple of barks from the Fury.

At 7:15 AM, I noticed the coyote trotting inside the woods. I barked once more and then the coyote made his way to the edge of the woods. The sun was just glistening on his chest and I wasted no time taking the shot, which was at a distance of 240-300 yards (I'll go back to verify). I walked over and found the 38 pound reddish - looking coyote!

My father did the same thing last night in Palmyra NY
Old 03-01-2011, 03:17 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Fury was set out at a distance of 40 yds.

gun870guy... who is your dad, do I know him?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

bhw,

You're a machine !!!

I don't hunt at night, but I still do pretty good.

I enjoy the spot and stalk style the best, although I do make stands as well.

I'm in SoCal, so are pelts are almost worthless, I thin them out on our hunting club properies for the benifit of the rest of our game population.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

beautiful dogs... too bad are southern california dogs dont look half that nice..