HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Triple Dog Dare *PIC*
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 03:05 AM
gun870guy
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bhw
Gang,

I started out late as I took my son to a hockey game and then drove 1 hour to my calling destination. The first farm produced 3 fox at once and an unidentified predator.

The second farm was great as I had a coyote instantly bolt across the field after 1 lone howl from my Lohman howler. He would not stop and I could not pull the trigger. In a huff, I played coyote pup distress and was delighted to see two pairs of eyes racing in. I blasted the lead dog, at eighty yards, before he got to my scent cone. I let the Fury play, and did some "barks" with my mouth, and scanned for the other dog. He raced back up the hillside and I quickly found him in the scope. His head was bouncing up and down. I found him on the up swing and hit him!

I walked over and found both dogs laying down touching each other!! As I took pics, another dog was scolding me from the woods below. I decided to leave and return in the morning - I left the coyotes right there, as well.

I missed a coyote at another farm.

At 6:00 AM, I returned to find the scolding dog. Sure enough, he started challenge barking at me as soon as I made my way across the field. I actually saw another coyote run - at mach speed - across the field in front of me. I paid no attention to it as I wanted to set up on the howler.

Upon reaching the hedgrow, I set up and howled once. That set the coyote into a barking and challenge barking frenzy that lasted for a solid hour. I was tracking the coyotes position from his non-stop barking and howling - just like a turkey hunter listening to a gobbler sound off.

Every 20 minutes, I would emit a couple of barks from the Fury.

At 7:15 AM, I noticed the coyote trotting inside the woods. I barked once more and then the coyote made his way to the edge of the woods. The sun was just glistening on his chest and I wasted no time taking the shot, which was at a distance of 240-300 yards (I'll go back to verify). I walked over and found the 38 pound reddish - looking coyote!

My father did the same thing last night in Palmyra NY