Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
yesterdays coyote hunt(first timer, tips needed!) >

yesterdays coyote hunt(first timer, tips needed!)

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

yesterdays coyote hunt(first timer, tips needed!)

Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Spike

Default yesterdays coyote hunt(first timer, tips needed!)

My dad just purchased a home with 7 acres behind it that borders a huge, i mean huge, corn field. He doesnt own the corn field but the farmer does not mind that we shoot coyotes out of it, just not deer. There are several fence rows and tons of timber surrounding it with a big irrigation ditch running through the middle. The guy who used to live there said there is a healthy coyote population. Anyways we tried for the first time yesterday and saw one several hundred yards away. Did see about 30 deer in the field though, which was encouraging for next years bow season.(they have to go through our property too, right?) Anyways we were hunting out of an 8x8 tower stand with glass sliding windows. This elevated stand sits about 20 yards inside a treeline overlooking the field, I can see a TON from in there. We used one of those digital game calls with the stressed rabbit call and coyote howls. The call is activated with a remote from where we are, and was placed near the edge of the field.(I know the coyotes can here EXACTLY where that call is, so we didnt use it from where we were in the elevated stand) Anyways, was happy to see one and see the deer but is there any other tips a newcomer should know? Possibly one of those electronic devices with the furry tail that waves back and forth?? Im fairly certain there are alot of them around, I think my techniques just need refined. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they're not coming to the call to start with, a decoy won't change the out come.
Make sure you're getting into your blind, and getting your call placed, without them knowing that you're there. Some times they simply won't come to the call, any call. You've tried it once, now next time, try some different sounds. It's amazing how one sound won't bring a coyote, but another sound will.
If you do the same thing over and over and don't get'em called and killed, they will only get harder to call in.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I been snaring yotes for a few years now and this year decided to try calling them, havent had a chance to get out much yet and havent connected but from trapping them in previous years I can tell you that it doesnt take much to keep them from coming in.

When you call make sure the winds right, if they smell you theyre not gonna come in.Approach your stand as quietly as possible.If they hear you theyre not coming in.If theyve been called before and shot at they may not respond well.Coyotes can cover a pretty large area so they may be getting call shy on other properties, or they just may not have been around when you were calling.That and about 1000 other things will keep them from responding well.

Around here theres people everywhere during hunting season, callings not the most productive way to kill coyotes as theyre very nervous anyway and dont respond to calling due to the pressure and amount of food available.But I plan to keep at it just for fun and eventually hope to connect, I knew all this before I bought the caller.The biggest thing to remember is that youre hunting a fairly small piece of ground, if the coyotes arent there at a given time no amount of callings going to work.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Well....Yotes are very very very smart and sometimes they will hide in dense cover and not come out till they see something moving so a decoy might make your life eaiser, but no gurantees . But yes if you overcall them they will get wise...fast. So make all your moves calculated and watch the amount of rabbit distress. Try the Coyote pup in distress call(if you have it) sometimes that brings out parental instinct and works well in many situations. Also if you have deep snow a coyote may not think a rabbit worth chasing after if he is going to be outrun if that is the case try a fawn in distress call. That works very well in mid to late winter. Hope you have a change in luck.
Happy Hunting,
Sam