Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Getting started on coyotes

Old 11-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Exclamation Getting started on coyotes

Can anybody here offer me some advice on mouth calling and calls for coyotes,i want to learn how to call em in. Whats the best calls in your eyes? thanks for the help and advice
Old 11-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Practice, practice, practice

http://varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

Go get'em !
Old 11-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

what do i need to look for,liek where is best places to hunt, i live in southern il
Old 11-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any farm / ranch area with good cover and water.

I hunt in Socal where there is a lot of cattle and deer, but most often where there is a lot of rodents (ground squirrels & rabbits) !

Go to extactly where you see them in full camo, including a head cover and gloves.

Pattern their movements in the area and learn how to best plan your final approach.

Otherwise, all you will do is educate them - understand, because they do !!!

Set-up in good cover with a good view, especially down wind of your location.

You would be wise to bring a low slung chair or at laest a cushion, so you can remain motionless for extended periods of time.

Put a stick and strink with a turkey feather on it(any decoy will help) about 100 feet out front & upwind of your location.

Call softly until you get better...................they'll know exactly where the call is coming from, so no need to continuing calling once you see them (remain motionless).

You must see them before they see you !!!

Bring shooting sticks so you can prop your gun on them to steady your shot.

1 in 10 attempts is good for a hawk getting a mousse, so don't get discourged
Old 11-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

So you are saying when I drive over to my buddies farm, park at the edge of his barn lot, get out of the car to get the gun out of the back seat, get back in the car and get comfortable and light up a smoke while wearing my sunglasses with the highly reflective frames, blow on the call a time or two and then expect to see a coyote at the edge of the woods within ten minutes or so is not very likely? I think I'm going to try it your way, mine isn't working-----
Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Check with the local farmers and ranchers for permission to hunt on their property. Walk the fence and property lines looking for dens. Don't forget to look behind you every few feet, as you may scare one up.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Lil Dog mouth reed caller and have a FOXPRO Spitfire caller with a jack Attack decoy,I set up on fence lines and the edge of woods..As said ask farmers in your area,yotes are like rats they dont like em and will let ya shoot every last one,I use a savage 22-250 zero'd in at 200 yrds.....