Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

My First Coyote.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:35 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default My First Coyote.

Hunting today, I didn't see any deer but I saw this.

walking out of the woods I decided to stop just inside the woodline next to a large field and stump sit for a half hour. I cleared away all the leaves so I could move my feet around and not make noise. Some folks were doing a drive about a half mile from me and hooping and hollering. I heard some footsteps coming my way and thought it was a deer trotting away from the people. Saw an animal cross from the woods to the brush at the side of the field....had my rifle up and searching the brush, then out of that same area he comes and I saw the bushy fur and tail so I knew it was a Yote since people don't hunt with sled dogs.
he came wallking directly toward me and didn't see me till he rounded a tree about 25 meters from me. he stopped with an "Oh ****" look on his face and I squeezed off the round. 130 grain .270 win right in the chest plate from direct front. DRT. like somebody unpluged him . The wind was blowing from his direction to me so that explains why he just walked up on me. I left him for the buzzards and went to my truck. told a young group of hunters about it at the parking lot and they asked if they could have it. I told them where it was. they said there is a bounty and one of them also wanted the pelt. I hung around and drank some water while I waited foro them to make the walk and got them to take my picture as well. My boys asked why we weren't going to eat it and the youngest was upset cause he would have wanted the teeth.

I' explained that we don't eat them because they eat carion and I didn't bring it home because I'm not sure if they carry rabies so I didn't really want the darn thing.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Spike

Nice coyote i just got my first one last week when i was deer hunting.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

A special thanks to all of you who have taken coyotes while deer hunting.