Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Hare/Rabbit hunting with Beagles

Old 10-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Spike

Default Hare/Rabbit hunting with Beagles

Just registered on this forum

I'd like to know how many of you (if any) hunt "wily wabbits" either with or without beagles and/or fiest and curr.

My son owns a mountain fiest, and I hunt with a beagle; both of our dogs work small game.

Any of you also hunt with mountain fiests and/or mountain curr?

I'd be quite interested in the use of dogs like my son's dog and/or my own beagle
Old 12-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

we use beagles a lot in ky,I have three and let the other dogs go if I am hunting at home,my 3 legged lab mix runs them well but he wont bark at them,but he has been raised with beagles his whole life,Get them dogs out and hunt them you will enjoy it...
Old 12-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a 3yr old female Beagle/Shepherd/Foxhound/something-something mix that hunts both squirrels and rabbits. We have a great time hunting together and work as a team. I'm on one side of the trail kicking log piles, pricker bushes, and thick briars. She's on the other side with her nose on the ground, sniffing everything, and going in and out of the thick brush. One of us will flush a rabbit and have a blast!

The only problem I have had is when we accidently jump a deer. My dog will take off and go tearing a$$ after the deer, and will be totally gone!... Thankfully she comes back, but only after I literally have to whistle and scream for her (which really ruins any further hunting for the day).

Last edited by ButchA; 04-25-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

I have heard that some deer fur in a mouse trap will break them never tried it but it may work,cant hurt them no worse than a shock collar that will definately break them but cost to much unless you train a lot..