Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Day or night for predators??

Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default Day or night for predators??

Hey guys/gals, I mostly hunt Yotes' and fox at night. Which do you prefer and why? Where I hunt in NY I find that they are most active and vocal in the P.M. I have hunted them during the day in mid-winter but with no luck,although I've heard that they're most active in the daytime!! I'll keep on hunting at night, but I wonder if I'm missing out by not hunting during daylight.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

I can't answer your question, because I've never hunted predators. I have a contact who may be able to hook me up with a good spot next year, so I might try it.

My question to you is: How in the heck do you shoot at night with a scope? Do you remove the scope and use iron sights? Spend $$$$ on a backlit scope?

I'd like to know because the yotes are much more active at night in my area, so if I take it up next year I would be hunting at night. Spotlights are not allowed.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Well I hope you get that hotspot. For the most part I've been hunting them with a 12Ga. and #4 buckshot, open sights. I will illuminate their eyes with a light that has a red lens. I've also used my fathers 4th generation night vision scope mounted on a savage 25-06 or a .22mag. That's the way I'd go if I had an extra 3-$4,000
Old 09-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Day = more challanging

Night = more yotes
Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Day = more challanging

Night = more yotes
But how do you shoot them at night? Lights are illegal in Colorado (at least from my understanding), and I don't have the $$$ for night vision equipment (I don't even know if it's allowed).

I don't know about shooting them with an open-sighted shotgun. I figure the range a rifle gives you would outweight any benefit of the scatterguns. Perhaps an open sighted .22 Magnum or .17?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

You should first check the local laws about night hunting. I've noticed more people out west hunting yotes' during daylight with scoped rifles. I could use a rifle here too but I'm usually hunting thick brushlots, woodlands and cut cornfields. I'm sure if you were coordinated enough you could illuminate their eyes, sight them in your scope, judge the distance, make sure your target isn't behind a weed or twig that'll deflect your shot and THWACK! It's tough buisness when all you can see are their eyes and usually they arent just standing there broadside! Give it a try. We cant use rimfire rifles here til' after deer season. Good Hunting!!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer day, simply because I like to sleep at night and I can call and kill plenty during the day here in CO.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

The only yote I ever shot was late morning. She came through the woods while I was deer hunting and I couldn't pass up the shot.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by PREDATE
Hey guys/gals, I mostly hunt Yotes' and fox at night. Which do you prefer and why? Where I hunt in NY I find that they are most active and vocal in the P.M. I have hunted them during the day in mid-winter but with no luck,although I've heard that they're most active in the daytime!! I'll keep on hunting at night, but I wonder if I'm missing out by not hunting during daylight.

here is SPROULS HUNTING TIPS.
46 yrs out in woods a lot i had too find a better way to hunt coyotes/fox here in pa.so i thought,SPROUL what does a predator need and when?
i found out that they like to hunt after dark as prey is easier to catch than in daylight.

i found out that prey is less in winter so they will hunt longer at night.1 hr after dark they get up and start to look for food.
at 5 am they are heading to bed.
so i found out that like 2 hrs after dark to midnight was best time to be out.
but then i said,SPROUL how do you shoot in dark and not spook them with light or how do you keep from them not scenting you .

so i tried many things and came up with this.
i found out that they stick out in snow.i could see 75 yards in snow with moon out or not.
hey maybe i am on too something.then i said,SPROUL how do you keep them from winding you?
so, i came up with this.i found out that they like easy route when hunting.they walk paths/pipelines in dark.
i have climbing stand. i come out and prep a tree before dark say a week before. i try to pick the highest place i can find on mountain.it is tree right along pipeline .
i bring stand out in dark and up i go.about 12 ft up is fine.
i added some more cord to my caller so i could go out a little farther.i place the caller right on pipeline in snow.
i carry the remote up tree with me.

now i use 12 gauge shotgun with full choke.i use n0.4 shot but some use no.6 as they dont want pelt to tore up.you can use 20 gauge too.
i can see them in dark without any lights on and they dont wind me. this way they will come in from any direction.
dont pick them up, shoot and sit still and wait a few minutes and call again.i killed 5 that way in 3 hrs.

thats it ,i dont hunt unless there is snow..............BUT it can be done without snow easy if you have FULL MOON.place your caller right on path/road etc so you can see them come .try not to walk on road coming in and spray your boots .
i use raccoon spray on my boots........

Last edited by sproulman; 09-30-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mac266
But how do you shoot them at night? Lights are illegal in Colorado (at least from my understanding), and I don't have the $$$ for night vision equipment (I don't even know if it's allowed).

I don't know about shooting them with an open-sighted shotgun. I figure the range a rifle gives you would outweight any benefit of the scatterguns. Perhaps an open sighted .22 Magnum or .17?
here in pa you use RED LIGHT on your head so eyes glow.
i use no light, no scent, shotgun and only hunt in snow .
full moon is usually out here in pa too in winter,another plus for ole sproul.
my dad was best hunter i have ever seen in my life.he is still alive at 96 and i am 56 and he taught me so much on hunting fishing.
my dog toby the hunting lab is teaching ole sproul a lot too at 7 yrs 9 months old........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.