Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New OR Cougar Petition

Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default New OR Cougar Petition

Well it is time to get the new petition for the ballot going to bring back the use of dogs to hunt cougars. Send me a PM with your email and I will send you an email explaining what you need to do to get signatures for the petition and who to turn them into. No staples! They will only be accepted now printed front and back. Here is a link to an article about what is kind of going on.

A change coming for cougar hunting?
http://theworldlink.com/articles/201...b033927565.txt

Here is a group trying to stop this from getting on the ballot.
http://www.all-creatures.org/cash/alerts-20100410.html

Here is the newest cougar attack article.
http://outdoornewsdaily.com/index.ph...in-lion-attack
Old 04-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Please read carefully. There are TWO (2) different petitions in the email. 1.) The first petition is to bring back the use of dogs to hunt BOTH cougar & bear. 2.) The second petition is to bring back the use of dogs to hunt Cougar only. This is TWO (2) different petitions to try and get TWO (2) different ballots. This is to try and help get both bears and cougars to be hunted by dogs again, but at least the use of dogs to hunt cougars.

1.) You will need Adobe/Acrobat Reader to open the petitions files and print them.

2.) Print both pages front and back of one piece of paper. One side will have signature page and the other side will have description of what the petition will do. This means you CAN NOT staple pages together. Do not use any staples on any petitions.

3.) DO NOT sign and/or date the bottom of the petition until you have had people fill out the form. Your signature has to be after the dates of ALL the signatures on the petition.

4.) Please try to mail in all your petition forms before May 15th.

Any additional questions or concerns should be directed to the person with the information below in email.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oregon su-cks! for non-residents hunting applications cost way too much for little to no chance at ever drawing a quality tag.

They outlaw cougars with dogs, I think bears with bait, this is what you get! I say keep it as is til there is no game left but predators in OR and attacks on people increase, good luck OR!

I won't be applying in OR til some serious changes are made!

Probably the worst state in the west as far as wildlife management goes...

caps on non-resident tags at 3% and 5%

$140.00 non-refundable hunting license just to apply for tags, of which the only tag worth getting is a sheep tag of which they have no bonus points for, so essentially a $140 lottery ticket with horrible odds!

btw what the heck is with the committee to abolish sport hunting? talk about nuts!

Last edited by salukipv1; 04-16-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Spike

Yea Oregon Sucks! You don't want to hunt here, that's for sure. There is bear and cat sign everywhere out there. A cat came after my dog on a hike in the Ochoco's several years back, and I had to throw my backpack at it and scare it off! I've even had one run in front of my truck at night coming out of a horse pasture. They are everywhere you go in significant numbers. It's real bad here just game wise-- not to mention hunt opportunities. We need to kill about 3,000 cougars just to start getting things back right. As a non-resident you should really consider hunting Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, or Colorado.
HA, HA, HA, HA, HA-
Just Kidding. Cougars are a problem and the dog thing is true- all of it's true in a sarcastic way. But the way to work it is to buy the license and plan on a bow hunt if you don't draw. If you don't like it- hunt somewhere else, its fine by me.
What I've read is that depredation really is a big problem- especially in the NE. I think I read somewhere that fewer than 10 calves are surviving per 100 cows in sumpter(??). The elk aren't replacing themselves and/or are barely treading water. Now to add to the problem wolves are here in noticeable numbers. The state has tried to deny it for years, even though they've been trapped and road killed, but now they've published confirmation in the hunting regs that they are finally here from Idaho to stay. Next we're going to have to come up with a hug a wolf day where all the Valley hippies go and give extra children to the wolf clan to be raised wholesome and right and find their spirit kindred. Meanwhile the rest of us are looking at bureaucrats scratching their asses and wondering what happened to all the mule deer? Damn poachers- must be we need more law enforcement. Pretty soon it'll be black helicopters....... Bureaucracy is great isn't it? We really should have better opportunities to hunt the cats and bears. I hope we can change the current laws.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:34 AM
Spike

Hey cataraft,
You've spoken the truth in more ways than one. The whole predator issue is a problem here in south Florida as well with the so called endangered Florida panther.

The successful introduction of predators into a hunting area will mean the end of hunting as you know it.
With in a couple of years we lost the hog population completely. This is an area that over 700,000 acres with an additional 500,000 or better adjacent. We went from seeing plenty of hogs ot none in a very short period of time and the same happened to all ground dwelling critters raccoons , armadillos , otters etc.

With the demise of feral hogs in the everglades well all knew that it was only a matter of time before the deer herd started showing signs of decreasing numbers and this season we are seeing this first hand.

The decision was made to have panthers in Florida.
"What purpose does having the Panther serve in the Ecosystem as a whole?" Panthers no longer serve as an important part of the ecosystem as hunting thins out the white-tailed deer herd butsomebiologists like the idea of having panthers in the ecosystem.
The fact is that there are very few true Florida Panthers and in 10 years there would be none as the Texas cougar gene would overtake the Florida Panther gene. At which point the scientific name for the panther now in Florida as Felix concolor stanleyana, which is the scientific name for the Texas Cougar~ The scientific name for the Florida Panther is Felix concalor coryi.

Questions have been asked as to whether they are dangerous to humans.
Generally not to adults, particularly if they are in groups. Panthers attack according to prey size. They would attack children and small adults, especially a small adult bent over. Studies have been done regarding panther behavior towards childrenwith panthers in captivity. When children entered the area where panthers are caged, the panthers would crouch down and go into stalking mode until the children leave the area.

Studies have shown that there is a much higher number of panthers than previously thought. Panthers are being sighted everywhere. Studies have show that 97% of the hogs are now gone,95% of the racoons are goneยท These two animals are primary prey species of panthers. Utilizing deer counts frominformation gathered trom hunters, the deer herd has apparently dropped by 35% over the past two years. There are much fewer deer tracks,raccoon tracks,fewer road kills of raccoons.
Based on this information, the following was calculated: .

Adult panthers require about 100 lbs. of meat per week, as stated in National Geographic's television series Explorer Episode titled. "Killer Cats". Female panthers with kittens require 200 lbs. per week while caring for the kittens.
Panthers eat wild hogs, raccoons, and deer.One deer equals approximately 100 Ibs. of meat. It takes two small hogs or 15 raccoons to equal one deer or 100 lbs. of meat from raccoons, or any combination of the above.
These numbers would increase for a female panther with kittens.

Using the State's figure of 80 panthers in the Preserve ( the number is closer to 220), this means 3,280 deer or 6,360 hogs or 47,800 raccoons. This is just for 'adult panthers, does not include female panthers with kittens .....
There are approximately 4,000 deer, plus or minus 10%, in the Preserve.
Have panthers reached carrying capacity or exceeded it?
Many believe they have reached carrying capacity and many are reporting sightings , were 10 years ago a sighting was extremely rare.
A major concern we've had for the last couple of years is that the deer herd is taking a hit due to panther predation and the dwindelling numbers support that suspicion.

Beware of any agency or wildlife group trying to push any predator introduction in your state because you may not like the long term results.
Your hunting license fees will be nothing more than a permit to legally carry a firearm in the woods during hunting season.

Happy Hunting..

Last edited by robert4570; 04-17-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Spike

Sounds like poor timing to me. They raise the tag and license fees, so myself and many others will no longer apply. I got the best OR has to offer a few years ago in a California BHS, and a cougar attacked the band it was in, the evening before I took it. The treehuggers in Portland and Salem can't be convinced.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

what really sucks here in oregon is private land being closed to public hunting because of stupid people.my ex inlaws closed 90,000 acres to hunting because of fences being cut gates left open and trash everywhere.