Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Ohio Coyote Hunting-Advice

Old 01-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Spike

Default Ohio Coyote Hunting-Advice

I have went coyote hunting 4 times in the last 2 years after lots of research and i have called 2 in both were at night but could never shoot because they never came within buckshot range but this year i have a partner using a rifle and i also have an electronic caller. I read about alot of people hunting them at dusk and dawn but i always see them while driving at night which is the reason i have only hunted them at night. This weekend i am planning on going from half hour til dark to about midnight or so. Does that sound like a bad idea and also how important is decoy use because i have never used one but my friend said he'd pick one up if we needed one. And also im using my 12 ga. turkey gun with buckshot since it shoots such a tight pattern so any advice on a good brand of buckshot to use would be appreciated as well. Thanks
Old 01-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Spike

sounds to me like you know what your doing, im doing about the same not much luck tho going out tonite the moon is brite with snow on the ground. Im from huron county ohio, good luck to you
Old 01-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do yotes do stuff different in different states ?

They sure seem to shoot the same.................!

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-30-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Spike

not sure ill ask the next one i see
Old 01-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

i like 2 go during full moons with snow on ground. in the last 2 nights have gone out total of like 4 hours and had 6 yotes come in....
Old 01-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Do you ever hunt during mid day, or in the morning? Coyotes will not pass up a meal during daylight. especially this time of year. If you have a electronic caller and a decoy you should take it kind of like turkey hunting. Sit for 30 then move to another location. Do some scouting by topo as well.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jakelogsdon
Do you ever hunt during mid day, or in the morning? Coyotes will not pass up a meal during daylight. especially this time of year. If you have a electronic caller and a decoy you should take it kind of like turkey hunting. Sit for 30 then move to another location. Do some scouting by topo as well.
i have only hunted once while it was light and it was during spring i hunted in the evening and just had a fawn come running into the call out of curiousity. lol, however this weekend i am planning on trying my luck during the day