Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Az. Mt. lion hunt

Old 01-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Spike

Default Az. Mt. lion hunt

Headed to northern arizona for mt. lion hunt this spring. anyone one out there have any advice to share. I won the trip at a gun raffle.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get in shape!

Perhaps fall/winter hunts are way different from spring, but my cousin's lion hunt, he said was probably one of the most physical hunts he'd ever been on. Heard similar things from other lion hunters as well.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Spike

Thanks, i hear it is a physical hunt.
In good shape not a problem there
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt lions with hounds for a hobby. Best advise I can give is ENJOY it! Don't worry about killing a cat. If you get your sights set too high on that you will be disapointed. Take a camera, enjoy the scenery, and enjoy the experience, the dogs, the horses or mules if you use them etc. Lion hunting is a type of hunting that is more involved than about anything I know. You will have lots of time with not much happening, and it can get quite boring if you don't have the right frame of mind going into the hunt. Then all hell breaks loose, and you are under a tree looking at a cat... If all goes right.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Spike

Thanks alot Charlie. I will take your advice and enjoy every minute of it.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Spike

Yes it can be a very physical hunt-what part of Northern AZ are you hunting, do you have a unit number? Using dogs?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:31 PM
Spike

going to hunting in Prescott National Forest and around Siligman. Yes we will be using dogs. wiil be covering several units
Old 01-31-2010, 11:25 PM
Spike

the best advice is to give me the hunt you could get eaten!
j/j i went on one with hounds. there is nothing else like it adrenaline the whole time
as long as you dont have a problem with walking some rough terrain you will be fine
good luck and happy hunting
Old 02-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by cmfstone
going to hunting in Prescott National Forest and around Siligman. Yes we will be using dogs. wiil be covering several units
Beatiful country man, I haven't done any hunting up there, I tend to hunt east along the Mogollon Rim or more central in the desert, but have been up there quite a bit and done some fishing in that area. Congrats and good luck.