Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Roadkill Rabbit

Old 11-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Spike

Default Roadkill Rabbit

Driving home from school today I saw a rabbit on the side of the road. I picked it up and brought it home, then cut off one of the back legs and one of the front legs because they looked fairly clean. The rabbit had been killed within the past 24 hours and it looked like the stomach had rupture. There's no smell to the back leg and front leg and they look fine, here's hoping it tastes as good as it smells.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bank
Driving home from school today I saw a rabbit on the side of the road. I picked it up and brought it home, then cut off one of the back legs and one of the front legs because they looked fairly clean. The rabbit had been killed within the past 24 hours and it looked like the stomach had rupture. There's no smell to the back leg and front leg and they look fine, here's hoping it tastes as good as it smells.
thats just nasty lol
Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Spike

that is kinda nasty good louck with eating that
Old 11-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Spike

Hey man, it's free rabbit, the stomach didn't actually rupture, there was just some internal bleeding. I didn't eat anything that was touching the gut sack, and I'm boiling it to make a stock for the stew that I'm gonna make with it. How can you go wrong? I suppose rabies, but there were no signs of it.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Spike

Update: The rabbit made a tasty stew, and I'm not foaming at the mouth, so we're okay. I must say, my favorite part of driving a pick-up is the ability to pick up roadkill.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Spike

hey its cool if you want to eat that im just saying in my opinion i dont think i would eat it but hey go for it
Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

I can see shooting it but roadkill!

That's gross man!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

A fresh roadkill deer is okay, but I don't think I would take a chance with anything else. Besides hawks, eagles etc... need an easy meal once and a while.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

Leave the man alone..Nothing wrong with eating roadkill..As long as you know it hasn't laid out to long and ruined..If you know it was just hit,nothing wrong with taking it to eat..
Old 11-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Dominant Buck

E.Coli or Salmonella would've been much greater concerns than rabies.