Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Have you ever lost your small game?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Default Have you ever lost your small game?

UGH!

I couldn't find my fox squirrel today after I shot him twice with the 22! I searched for over an hour and it made me sick because I know I hit him but couldn't locate him! I even went back and searched again and still could not find him!!!

I called dad and he says sometimes it happens. He said I made the effort and did my job in trying to search for him. I still feel so bad! Dad said they usually hide under leaves or rocks and pass away...

Have any of you lost your small game after shooting it?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

I've had squirrels make it into brush piles after falling from the tree, it's the dark side of hunting, sometimes you don't find what you know you've hit. You gave it your best try and that's more than some guys would do. I've had a couple grouse that hit the ground and made their way under a brush pile as well, those things can be sneaky at times too. Props for looking as hard as you did.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

it happens sometimes that is part of it. you learn from your mistakes, you become more aware shots and the terrain where your game may fall or go to. you searched a lot more than most people would have.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

I wanted to recover it soooo bad! It really did make my gut hurt just knowing I couldn't find it! *sigh*

Thanks guys.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

When I was 15 years old.
One time sticks in my mind, I shot a squirrel, it dropped on the ground.
Then when I got to the tree, it was gone.
So I started walking back, and forth, getting closer every foot.
And about 10 minutes, I stepped on it.
There it was, burried in the leaves.

If it happens again, just walk back and forth where you saw it fall.
Every foot, thats how I used to find the squirrels, that dissapeared, after the shot.
In a grid type pattern, if you do this most times you will find it under the leaves.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

jrbsr
Old 10-27-2009, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ava,where did you hit the squirrel??Knock on wood,i've either killed um clean with 1 shot,wounded them and made another shot killing it,or missed clean.Never lost a squirrel i hit.But i know it will happen 1 day!!!!!!!!!!Dangit!!!!I've only hunted 1 time with my 22 this year,killed 2 that day,i guess i got spoiled on the 17hmr,0-70 yards=DEATH!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

I believe I shot him in the neck/head area or atleast I tried! When I hit him, he rolled on the ground a few times, got up and scurried away! I looked again yesterday evening and couldn't find him. I doubt he'd be any good if I found him today because it's been warm here, 65*-70*.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you gave it a good hard look. It happens to the best of us
Old 10-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ava
I believe I shot him in the neck/head area or atleast I tried! When I hit him, he rolled on the ground a few times, got up and scurried away! I looked again yesterday evening and couldn't find him. I doubt he'd be any good if I found him today because it's been warm here, 65*-70*.
That happened to me bout a week ago,only i had my mossberg 500 410,so im walkin the side of a hill,i see 1 bout 30-35 yards away,POW!!!!,ran off.Thought i missed,about 10 mins later i see him fall from a tree,so i walk over to him,about to grab his tail,he JUMPED UP!!!!!!!Ran bout 20 yards away still on the ground,just staggarin around,POW,click,click,POW!!!Killed him stone dead that time!!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Spike

i lost the biggest gray i ever shot in my life. i shot him in the back with the 22 he ran a lil ways then stopped and rolled. i went to get him...NUTHIN! i looked forever but i couldnt find him. Its happend a few times to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.