Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Idaho Wolf Hunt

Old 09-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
I did not know that there was a wolf hunt in the state of Idaho this year. Personally, I disagree with wolf hunting. Isn't that how we got rid of them? WOLVES ARE GOOD!!! They keep the grazing animal populations like elk under control. Plus, one of the things that elk eat are aspen tree shoots when the plant is young. Since the introduction of wolves in Yellowstones Lamar valley, the aspen population has been reborn. Wolves equal a more healthy and more clean ecological environment. What wolves have done for Yellowstone, they will undoubtedly do for Idaho.

sniff sniff...I smell a troll....

the wolves have decimated the elk herds in Yellowstone...offical estimates are over 70% reduction in the elk herd...Calf mortality rate (attributable to wolves) has been below sustainable levels for 5 years...

You portray to be from "the Lamar Valley" which I find to be a part of your lie but carry on as you wish...trolls like your post are not adding value to anyone...
Old 09-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
After looking at the Idaho Fish and Game Wolf Management Plan, I see now the reason for the hunting. The wolf population is alot higher than I had expected to see. I know this is not unlawful slaughtering, and I agree that a large population needs to be kept in line. Sorry for the confusion.

Even a fool can appear wise if he remains silent...you have removed any doubt...

Pre-introduction the Northern Yellowstone Elk herd was around up to 19,000 and as low as 17,000...two years ago the count was as low as 6,200 with the recent high being 7109...Keeping in mind this is just the Northern herd...Similar impacts are being seen in Wyoming, and Idaho...etc.

Suggest you do some more reading on the subject before you communicate with those of us living out your joy of having wolves...

http://www.physorg.com/news166894603.html
Old 09-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

One could have an intelligent discussion about wanting zero wolves or a carefully managed population that allows sustainable and appropriate elk/deer herds.

What we have now is unregulated population explosion. I can see no intelligent way to defend this. Hunting should have started YEARS ago, now it will take a long time to undo the damage.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

total is up to 3 in idaho as far as i know

http://www.localnews8.com/Global/sto...av=menu554_1_1
Old 09-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default I tagged one!!

I tagged one of the first, if not the first according to Fish and Game.....now the best friend of the enviro nut jobs....
Attached Thumbnails Idaho Wolf Hunt-10424_1154432552995_1593142397_30392877_5031415_s.jpg  
Old 09-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry I've been away for awhile guys and gals, been bust in the woods....wolf woods lately, posted in the big game section and more pics on my blog...been busy with the camera mostly, took some awsome wildlife pics in glacier this summer, link to that pic site and a new scenery pic site on the idahooutdoors pic blog...I'll try and be on here a little more now...didn't realize I was missed.....lol....good hunting kind sirs....
Old 09-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

glad to see you back on robert and congrats on a nice wolf. i believe you are being counted as the first to report, you made newspapers all across the country. that probably will be more of a curse than anything else im afraid. hopefully the tree huggers will stay off your back. i just hope i get the chance to fill my tag this year.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is kind of exciting!
First wolf hunt in 80years...?
I feel like I'm living in the good ole days but it's 2009!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by millagerobert
I tagged one of the first, if not the first according to Fish and Game.....now the best friend of the enviro nut jobs....
Congrats! Thats a big doggie! what caliber did you use?

EDIT- nevermind ,read the other thread, 243, nice!

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 09-03-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice, Now if we could only have a season here in Wi. Northern Wi. deer herds are down 40%
Redclub