Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New to bow-hunting, advice please. >

New to bow-hunting, advice please.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to bow-hunting, advice please.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:13 PM

Default New to bow-hunting, advice please.

This will be my second bow season and I am looking for some equipment advice from someone. I want to purchase a bow this year for archery season, deer that is. I am willing to spend about $700 on a bow and equipment. Any recommendations out there on make and model i should buy. Also would it hurt to buy a used bow. I am hearing a lot of good stuff about matthews and was thinging about their outback model. looking for any advice you can give me.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New to bow-hunting, advice please.

Start shooting them at your pro shop and find one you like. You will get 10 different people with 10 different bows on here. Mathews, Bowtech,Hoyt, Diamond, PSE, Onieda, etc.etc. All great bows you just have to find one you like. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats exactly right. Don't go on what someone else shoots just go shoot them and see what feels the best. Used Bow, if I knew the previous owner or it was in immaculate condition I would think that would be fine. Check the cams for nicks, string condition and any cracks in the limbs. Warranty may not be transferable so just be careful. Good Luck!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Ditto Mowtown.
It is all in what you like, not what others like. Id tell you hoyt because that is what fits me best, where others like Mathews, bowtech, etc. etc.. Go to a good store and try them all. Have apro help you. You will find a couple that you really like and then the decision is up to you.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Be prepared to become addictted to the sport. Marry someone you have verified that likes to hunt don't take her word for it.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Spike

I agree with Fieldmouse, be prepared to spend hours drooling over magazines, websites and hunting videos...i have just started bowhunting and i have already spent about $1500.00 in 6 months, am on my second bow already and haven't even killed a big game animal yet! Just a note: Practice, practice, practice and ask lots of questions!

I love hunting and bowhunting is that much more rewarding, welcome to the sport and to the forums.

Good Luck!
Old 07-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Definitely go shoot some for yourself. Find a reputable pro shop in your area with a good selection of bows. $700 should go a long way towards getting you an excellent setup.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the helpful advice. I will go to a proshop today. two other things I have questions about. One: There was a thread about this yesterday but i thought i would ask here as well. I am left eye dominant but right handed, i shoot guns left handed but have only tried a left handed bow once. I didn't feel great but I was wondering is it something i should look into. Second: crossbows are legal in virginia now. How do you guys feel about crossbows, is it cheating? It might help me get past my left eye dominance but i don't want to be a cheater in the eyes of my peers.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

You don,t even want to open up the crossbow can of worms here. To me if it is legal in your state do what ever you want and don't worry about what others think. As for eye dominance I shoot with both eyes open.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

mwarner, IMO if you are left eye dominant....get a lefty bow and learn to use it, and shoot with both eyes open. Chances are you will be much more effective in the long run.I know several guys that have switched to lefty over the years (after years of shooting r/h) and after the intial awkwardness of the change, arebetter, and glad they did.

You can shoot right handed/right eyed, but make sure your left eye is closed or it will probably try and take over and make you much less accurate.

As for crossbows...personally I don't like them and wish they hadn't legalized them in Va. But again, that's me....you do what you need to do for you, not anyone else.

Good luck

Quick Reply: New to bow-hunting, advice please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.