Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Tips for a new Coyote hunter

Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 PM

Default Tips for a new Coyote hunter

Well recently my friend has had coyote problems around his farm. So Him and I dragged a dead calf out to the corner of his field, cut open the calf,and waited about 100 yards away. We laid down near the edge of the tree line surrounding his field and tried to stay out of sight. Well around 11 - Midnight we hearda coyote call off in the distance, seconds later more and more calls sounded all around us (some sounded VERY close). But we didn't see any.The next morning we went out to look for damage to the calf,the calf remained untouched. We did the same thing about a week later but had the same results, TONS of calls but no sight.

What is it that we are doing wrong? Any tips to coyote hunting? I mean, there are tons of calls all around his property, this place is like a gold mine of coyotes. We have to be doing something wrong.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tips for a new Coyote hunter

If It was I.....

I would abandon the bait station... I personally dont have the patience... and best case senerio you will kill one per gun... before you educate the hole lot of them.

Take a look at the property... Start on the downwind side.. and work in slowly... calling softly.. watching your open areas as Coyote approach lanes... the softer the better.... I like to call tight areas with calls that reaching the 250 yard range... anthing over that... your bound to blow the close ones out... and switch it up... rabbit distress, rodent, fawn... pup distress in about amonth... Just be careful to many coyotes are spooked long before guys start calling.... The hunt starts the moment you start looking for a place to park the truck... Your parking spot, your approach to the stand, your set up... etc....

and some good ol luck wont hurt either...

Mike
Pure Predator Championship Calls
www.purepredator.com

and if the bait station trips your trigger.... go to the predator talk cast site the first eppisode was on baiting coyotes...

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=34247&cmd=tc

Brian Downs does a heck of a good job enlighting the masses on the art of Predator Hunting
Old 05-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tips for a new Coyote hunter

Scent and noise could have stopped them from coming in. Like Pure Predator said, you want to utilize the downwind side of the property. And if you and your buddy are slamming truck doors and talking and making a lot of noise, the coyotes will stay away. You might also want to think about trapping as well, you can set up many traps in an area.