Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote baiting info???

Old 04-09-2009, 04:23 PM

Default Coyote baiting info???

I have been thinking of trying to start baiting in coyotes and setting up my game camera to gets some pictures and to huntoff it when i get off work for a hour or 2 in the evening. Any one have any suggestions on what to use for bait.Any homemade baits out there. any ideas on how to set up my blind . should it be up or down wind of bait.Would it help to Use calls to. Thanks for any info
Old 04-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote baiting info???

To be successful at baiting coyotes, you'll need a very good and steady supply of bait, what ever that may be. It may take a while, weeks possibly, for them to find it, and once they find it and clean it up, you'll need to replenish it quickly there after, to keep them coming back. If you can get meat scrapes, and freeze them in a 5 gallon bucket with a wire tied into the scrapes, then tie the wire to a tree, or fence post, so that it takes them a while to eat it and they won't be able to drag it off, it might work.
If you're going to sit at the bait pile, always make sure that your scent is blowing away from the bait and away from the travel route that you expect them to come down. If they smell trouble, they won't come to the bait.
Problem is, when they come to the bait, will you be there? That's why you need a steady supply of bait, to get them in the habit of coming often. Then you have to hope that you're there when they are there.
As far as using calls along with the bait, might help. I would suggest simply using some howls, basically to announce that you/the new coyote, have found the bait and that would maybe convince the local coyotes thatanother coyoteis moving into thier food source and territory. I think the calling would work best sometime after the coyotes have found your bait. Otherwise, calling with distress calls, would be better done without depending on the bait to pull them in. Although a consistant bait pile may help hold coyotes in the near vacinity, so it may help you're calling odds. BUT it's much easier to call a hungry coyote with distress call, than it is to call one that gets to eat from a bait pile every night.

Make sure that it's legal to use bait in your area?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

My neighbors get LOTS of dead chickens and i meen a LOT and i dump them on a bait pile and i am going to put out a trail cam..then see what time they come then sit out at that time with the 22.250
Old 04-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

does anyone know if fish would work as a bait for yotes. i know its not part of their normal diet but they are oppertunists, right?