Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Just looking for info on Coyote habits.. >

Just looking for info on Coyote habits..

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Just looking for info on Coyote habits..

Old 10-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Just looking for info on Coyote habits..

I am situated in broken wood lots in farmland, and only one large tract of a large timber stand.(roughly 300-400 acres aprox. 1/4 of a mile away)

I have had some game cameras up for the past two years, and on the last roll of one camera, I have two pictures of a coyote. I have never dealt with them before. I have seen a coyote only two times in my lifetime here, and both times were located on the oppostie side of the road to the large timber stand about a 1/4 mile away. When I retrieved the cameras, I did notice a significant pattern of scat that was not reconizable, to which concievably a coyote would be about the right body size for the scat. It followed the path that took it past the camera, and indeed there was more scat 100 yards further in.

I can tell that these pictures were two different days via the negatives. The first is at 9:29, and the very next day one is taken at 9:19 (both AM). This camera is set at the largest entrance into the woodlot (only a 11acre lot). I have only priorly got deer pictures. My rate of pictures is about 1/2 of last year at the same location. I had no other pictures of the coyote on the roll (it was the second and third day of the roll being out a total of 7 days).
It clearly looks to be the same animal. The tail is very whispy, thats about the only definition I can use. The animal looks full grown, but the tail just looks very wimpy, like there is nothing to it (lack of any major fur).

What I am looking for is some general knowledge about coyotes relating to travel habits, solitary or pack animals, male or female traits, and what you feel could be the cause or spark for a sudden appearance for two days at approx the same time of day.

I am trying to better understand these animals so that i can adjust my mangement plan as such.

PS. About 1 week prior to that roll being shot, I was in the same block tending to a stand, and I swore I heard a coyote howl behind me about 100yds ( which would have placed it about 40 yards into a standing corn field). So I would not chalk the appearances to chance, as I can place coyotes there for two consecutive weeks.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Just looking for info on Coyote habits..

I don't know if this will help you, but this is one behavior I think is very interesting. A farmer I know says that whenever he gets the combine going, yotes show up. They know that the combine will flush out and confuse rabbits. The yotes just snatch them up. He's had yotes jog along side him, just waiting for a rabbit to run.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: etothepii

I don't know if this will help you, but this is one behavior I think is very interesting. A farmer I know says that whenever he gets the combine going, yotes show up. They know that the combine will flush out and confuse rabbits. The yotes just snatch them up. He's had yotes jog along side him, just waiting for a rabbit to run.
Interestingly, the corn surrounded this woodlot on all sides when I heard the howling, and the corn came down during this past week when the photos were shot.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most likely the yote was hanging out around the field waiting for mice and such to flush out when the corn came down. Yotes tend to travel alot so chances are he won't be staying around long unless there is a good food source nearby. My hunch is that you have more yotes around then you think. They live in probably every single county in the lower US and they eat almost anything. They are classified as carnivores but I think they are more like omnivores. I've seen them eating grasshoppers, fruit and vegetable matter. He may stick around and make that area his territory. There isn't much way of telling for sure.