Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

V hunting for an idiot

Old 03-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Spike

Default V hunting for an idiot

Hi...im just starting predator hunting....Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated greatly. I have a knight and hale 2 in 1 predator call and a squirell pelt for a decoy. What else should i know....anything helps. scents,calling tips, ect.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Inactive

Default RE: V hunting for an idiot

It would help to know what kind of varmints are in your area, where you are located ie:farm, rural etc. What type of firearms do you have or can you use in your area. Fill us in, then we might be of more help.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Spike

Default RE: hunting for an idiot

The varmints in the area are mostly coyotee. There are also red fox and fisher cats that are moving regularly. I am located in the woods in eastern massachusetts right on the coast. I am going to be shooting my bow to improve my shooting for deer season...Any tips off of that informations?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

First, check with all the regulations to see if you can use a bow for these animals. If you can legally use a bow, I would work on the coyotes andpass onthe fox and fisher. The fox have a hard time surviving if you have coyotes around, and the fisher will help to control the rodents. I would rather have fox living in the area than coyotes. Fox also help to control rodents, but they won't take your colts, calves, sheep, etc. Fox andfisherdo like rabbits and birds so if you have rabbits or poultry they could be a problem. If electronic calls are legal, you can download freeMP3 files for coyote hunting at www.varmintal.com . Just listening to these calls can also help you with your own calling. If baiting is legal, you can try using table scraps or some type of redmeat - the bloodier the better as the blood itself has a very distinct smell. Check with your local butcher to see if you can have his scraps.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

scout your hunting locations for sign first of all. Also if you plan on hunting fox stay away from any howling, as it will deter any fox. start with a few soft cottontail distress calls working up louder as you go every 5-10 min or so. then maybe try a howler, also howlers are good coyote locators, as usually 50% for the time they howl back giving you an aproximation of their location. Stay well concealed and very still, a little persistance an you have success! good luck