Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Lookin for a trapline pistol

Old 02-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Lookin for a trapline pistol

Im going to be doin some trappin this winter, and i need a trapline pistol. I was wondering, if you could help me choose one.
First off, do i get a revolver, or a semi-auto? Second lets say i o semi-auto, is the walther p22 a good pistol for the money? Right now i can get on in digital army camo for $349, it will probably be there for a while. Lets say i go revolver, who make a good cheap revovler. I dont want to spend much more than $350 for this gun, seein as it will get used quite often, and beat around a little. So do i get a semi-auto, or a revolver? And what gun is the best for under $350 in wither category? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lookin for a trapline pistol

Brod...I have 2 pistols that I can reccommend. The first is an H&R 9-shot .22 revolver. It's a model 929. It's simple, but it is an absolute workhorse. It was given to me by my father, and it looks as if it is new, and I would guess it's going on 35 or 40 years old. It's ugly, but it's light. The barrel is around 5". I would imagine that if you look around you can find a used one for around $125 or so.

I also have a Smith and Wesson 22A-1. It is a semi-auto. It's the most accurate .22 pistol that I've ever seen. It came with 2 barrels. One is around 5" and the other is around 8". I have a 4X scope on the longer barrel for squirrel hunting. It's easy to clean and has never jammed or given me a single problem through thousands of rounds. My wife bought the entire outfit for me for Christmas about 5 years ago. It was $350, with both barrels and the scope.

I would reccomend a cheap revolver if it were me. You're not going to impress anyone with a 22 pistol, so there isn't much point in putting much money into it. They are also a little more durable than a semi, in my opinion.

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2009, 04:07 PM

Shooting a semi-auto gun is more fun for me. That's why I have one. I can shoot into my bullet trap in the basement and not spend a lot of money for ammo while doing so. It's good practice too.

But, you wouldn't really need a semi-auto pistol for a trap line. If you bought a semi-automatic pistol for that sole purpose you'd probably be spending more money than you'd need to. That is, if you buy a good quality one. I would also go with a revolver. Less things can go wrong with one. Keep it cheap and simple.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

A Taurus Tracker .22 Revolver is what you need.
I have two, a .22 LR, and a .22 Magnum.

What I like about Taurus is they have a Life Time Repair Policy.
If it ever needs repaired, just have a gun shop send it to them.
They repair it for free.

My Tracker .22 magnum, the cylender wouldn't lock up when it was cocked.
I took it to where I bought it.
They sent it to Taurus.
They fixed it for free, They even paid for the shipping.

They shoot great.
And they cost between $300.00 and $350.00

I hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Spike

I run over 200 traps and carry a 22mag revolver... for some simple reasons--
the fact that a semi auto ejects the shells
-for me sucks, I like to use the same set place over and over...
and I would have to pick up the cases.. after every shot.
with a revolver I can shoot the animal carry it to my truck then go back with out ever having to remember to pick up the casing...
I simply unload and re load when I get in and out of my truck...
I never shoot coyotes in the traps for I was always told that killing a coyote in a trap is bad
Y I have no idea... But I carry a catch pole with me and like to take the dogs away from my traps even if its only 50 yards..
I guess it has some thing to do with minimizing the blood around the trap area

so any way I also use it for running dogs at night.....

Old 02-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

i would get a .22 revolver it is all you need to dispatch an animal ya sure a semi-auto is funner to shoot..but you would prob...spend more money than wanted i do not know how much one would cost...but it is a good gun my friend has one
Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recently bought a Walther P22 3.5" and its a very nice lil semi-auto. I also own a few Rugers, a Mark I, and a Mark II target 5.5", and I own two Buckmarks as well. The lil P22 is my favorite now, due to its small size. I can throw it in my coat pocket and not even know its there, and it shoots very well.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I recently bought a Walther P22 3.5" and its a very nice lil semi-auto. I also own a few Rugers, a Mark I, and a Mark II target 5.5", and I own two Buckmarks as well. The lil P22 is my favorite now, due to its small size. I can throw it in my coat pocket and not even know its there, and it shoots very well.
That is awesome, because I just ordered a P22 on Sunday, I am glad to hear more positive things about it.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Should be a darn nice shooter for ya. I'm actually considering selling all my other 22 pistols now except for one of the target models in case I ever start shooting competitively again.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 PM

i would get a S and W

Quick Reply: Lookin for a trapline pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.