Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Calling Crows

Old 03-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default Calling Crows

I'm thinking about buying a call and starting to do a little more crow hunting. It seems like a lot of fun and it would be a great way to improve my shooting. I'm trying to decide between an electric call and a mouth call. For those of you who crow hunt, what kind of calls do you use. Does it take a lot of practice to call them in effectively on a mouth call? I'd really appreciate your opinions. Thanks
Old 03-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Calling Crows

IHUNTANDFISH- I really don't know much about crow hunting butthe guys at work talk about making there own crow loads.Do you load your own shells?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

I've only hunted crows a couple of times and each time we used an electronic call (my hunting partner's call) Electronic calls seem to work the best. It does kinda depend on how much you want to spend to hunt crows. I actually just bought a cheaper Johnny Stewart electronic call to hunt predators with. I'm guessing if I can find memory card with a crow call it should work just fine. I wasn't even thinking crows when I bought it. So if you also predator hunt or maybe you already have anelectronic call this would be an option if you want to spend the extra money. I know electronic calls work, but amouth call may work just fine also. I hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:58 PM

I just wait for them to land in the trees and crack the window a little.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

I have always used a mouth call. If you have a good population of crows you can kill dozens in one day. My call is a very old PS OLT brand not sure if they are still available, not sure it matters that much what brand. Probably the main thing is to be camouflaged as possible including a face mask. Crows are one of the smartest critters in the outdoors, but they are a slave to a crow in distress sound. It will take a little practice with a mouth call, there are certain sounds you can make with a mouth call that will send them packing the other way, but if you can call turkeys, calling crows is easy. Once you get a crow on the ground is when the action picks up, it can litterally be a blast. I think a electronic call would have some serious advantages over a mouth call though, being able to direct their attention away from your location would have to be a big help. I have never used decoys either, but I have read where they are very effective, espeically an owl decoy in the middle of a couple dead crows. No calling needed with that set up, the crows that see such a thing will do the calling for you.

Good luck !!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

If you can get your hands on 7- 10 decoys your calling is not as important. They will come to scope it out and see the decoys, and you should have them. An owl or a hawk decoy will really get them going.

What sucks is Illinois put the crow on the migratory bird list a few years ago, that really choked down the season. Our season just closed on the 28th of Feb. All the crows I got this year were with a Johnny Stewart prey master,,, works very well
Old 03-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

i have a cheap primos call "old crow" and it works well. fairly easy to call them in on calmer days and its a lot of fun
Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

crankin crow call all you do it clasp it in your teeth to select pich other that you just blow in iit
Old 03-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

To make the crow sound, on mine anyhow you need to make the sound in your tonsils, like your trying to bring up a big luggie. Needs to be a very raspy sound to sound right. If you do it the right way, it will hurt after a while.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 05:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Calling Crows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.