Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Calling Crows

Old 03-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Calling Crows

ORIGINAL: arrow2512

IHUNTANDFISH- I really don't know much about crow hunting butthe guys at work talk about making there own crow loads.Do you load your own shells?
Yes, actually I do. That way I can load super magnum shells for those long shots. But all joking aside, it saves money to load your own shells when you go through a lot of them, and I enjoy reloading shells. You get a sense of satisfaction knowing that you are using shells that you made yourself.

I ended up getting a Johnny Stewart Attractor call. I also made somesilhouette decoys out of wood and spray painted them black. I put them out this afternoon near my house and tried the call. However, I didn't notice any crows nearby. Then a little before the sun went down I heard some crows calling, so I just set the call out without the decoys, and sat down next to a small pine tree. I guess I seriously underestimated their sight because as soon as I turned the call on, one came in and veered off. Then about six of them came in and also veered off. I used the distress call and they kept circling around, but slightly out of range. Finally two came in within shooting distance and I took a shot. I just winged it though because I saw some feathers come out, and it kept flying.[:@] Oh well, there's always next time. I really appreciate all the info guys. For you experienced hunters, what's the best time of day to hunt, and if you shoot at a flock, should you pack up and move, or will they come back again? thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

In my area, anytime of day works, I would say evening time is less productive than morning and mid-day though.

Crows are smart but they will do some dumb things when they see a fallen comrade. And by that I mean they will repeatedly come right back to where they know it is serious danger. After awhile they will wise up but if you are on a flyway, there will be new arrivals, that has no idea what you have been up to [8D] it can go on for hours, but after several outings they will become very hard to fool. you will just have to change tactics

Maybe Ron Duval will add some to.. He seems like a serious crow killa
Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 AM

ive hunted with electronic calls and mouth calls and i like the electronic calls better, its just the easyness of pushing a button, you also get the sound of more than one bird if your hunting alone with a mouth call you wont get that. i like crow hunting to get my shooting dialed before duck and goose hunting
Old 03-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ron Duval

Crows are much smarter than I am. The only thing that I know that works most of the time is to slip into long rifle range, slip them a pill, and watch the feathers slowly float to the ground.
Yeah, I wish I could do that. But where I hunt, I am too close to houses to do any shooting with a high powered rifle. I have knocked one down with my pellet gun though, so I know it can be done. Crow season here in WI ends already the 20th of March which is a week from this Friday. I guess I'll just have to make good use of the time that I have left.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

All right. I went out tonight by my house again after seeing two of them in a tree nearby. I ended up getting both of them. What a blast. I'm gonna be going out again tomorrow.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

Good Job!!! Thin em out!!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks. I got two more the next morning, but I should have had more. I guess I have to practice my shooting a little more
Old 03-20-2009, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

my uncle gets alot of crows withe the mouth call he gotten 13 in one day with that
Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Crows

All of the above. I would walk a mile in the snow. just to shoot at a crow. I use a tape style caller with a loud speaker. This works very well. my tape has intrmissions where a hoot owl with hoot a few times . We use a hammerin crow call (mouth call ) at the same time. Dont work as well but it will draw in the hawks and if you get the crows excited they will attack the hawk. If you use the tape caller point the speaker horizontal with the ground. If you point it upwards alot of the time they fly in high and are hard to get a good shot. I am a firm believer in camaflauge. If they see you its over.

Quick Reply: Calling Crows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.