Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Lookin for a new yote rifle

Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lookin for a new yote rifle

As of now im shootin a weatherby .17hmr with the anschutz 64 action....super accurate and i love it . but im pushing its capabilities on yotes and am tired of the hmr's 100 yard limitations with yotes. Even if i call them inside 100, they dont present for a good shot many times. with a tiny .17 rimfire, bullet placement is critical so i have to be conservative on what shots to take. anyways that aside, im looking at coopers in .223 .22-250, or .243. But coops arent repeaters which i dont like... im sort of partial to a nice wood stock. im leaning towards .243.....nearly as flat as .22-250 but a better BC, Rammer how do you like your .243...is it hard on fur from 100-200?) But the other side of me want so go to an AR setup......especialy after elections i figure i better get one now if i want one.... more specifically looking at a JP rifles JP-15....20" barrel .... iv been goin back and forth for months. What do you guys think...... who makes a bolt repeater of near or equal quality to coopers? ....i dont like how kimbers feel when i shoulder them up...suggestions?
Old 02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Lookin for a new yote rifle

Wow, you aren't talking cheap rifles are you? I guess I really shouldn't say anything about the price. I won't tell you how much I have in my .243 AI. [>:]

Shooting the 70 grain Blitzkings I tend to run into quite a bit of pelt damage. Yet at the same time there are just as many, if not more that there isn't an exit hole and barely any entry bleeding.

Might look at an Ar-10 configuration. You can then shoot the .243 and have a lot of repeating capability.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

#40....is your AI about on par with a .240 wby. mag? i thought of a mark 5 also.......nice guns but i dont think they are quite worth what they cost. also wby factory loads are very expensive....and wby brass is well, .....expensive. i like the .240's stats on paper.....but i have a hunch they heat barrels rather quickly!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

oh...in an Ar platform i would most likely stick with .223
Old 02-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

With what little chronographing I have done, it is right there with the Weatherby. Both will be barrel burners if shot quickly.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my 243s for coyote calling! I use a 60gr Sierra HP behind a max load of Varget, and out of a ton of coyotes, I've only wrecked one fur with this load. About 90% of the time you can't even see the entrance wound or any blood on the snow. This is on alot of dogs shot at well under 100 yards.

I've never owned or been around a Cooper, but I thought I read where they came out with a repeater now, so you might want to check into that.

As for AR15s. I can't seem to put mine down this year, shooting 55gr BTs (not going to use them after this year on coyotes again) I'm putting 5 shots into a ragged hole at 100 yards off my shooting sticks. I'm partial to the 55gr SPs or 55gr Vmaxs for coyotes out of the 223. I might try out some 50gr V-Maxs this summer and see how they perform on dogs.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Don't rule out an ar15 in 243 wssm or 257 wssm. Both can get you the BC you want and move on up to big game with the right bullet. As for a bolt it's hard to beat a cz IMHO. With the AR a 223 rifle of your choice and an ar upper in 243wssm or 257wssm will be just as accurate as a cooper if you stick with heavy barrels and a good trigger. Just for reference a 17 rem, available in the ar or 223 is about as strong as you are going to get if looking at pelt dameage. Beyond that you need a thicker skinned bullet for a through and through.
Blessings.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

I would go for a remington 700 in .22-250. If nice wood is on your list take a look at the remington 700 vls.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_VLS_specs.asp
Old 02-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Spike

people look at me funny when I pull out my savage in 204.... but I am a cheap hunter that likes performance and the acu-trigger helps or makes me think that it helps me and my gun preform so look at savages they are producing some good to great guns..
Old 02-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the input guys, i will have to check out the CZ ( quality rifles at a great price as i almost bought a 453 hmr last year) and the remmy vls for sure........Rammer, yes cooper does make a repeater but im pretty sure it is only availiable in .25-06 and larger calibers. great cal on deer sized critters but gettin a little big for yotes. As far as the wssm calibers......i will probably stay away from them........i shot my buddies .243wssm and compared to the .243 it heats way faster......like 3.shots to one....after 4-5 shots groups start to spread and it needs too cool. not really worth the little bit extra velocity in my mind.

Quick Reply: Lookin for a new yote rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.