Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Ole Sneaky Coyotes(Long ?) HELP!

Old 01-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Spike

Default Ole Sneaky Coyotes(Long ?) HELP!

So I set out this morning to my first stand this spot has not given me a yote yet but it has produced coyotes about 310yrds out and this is one of the few places my lil dog locator howls get a response ok heres my predicament, I know your supposed to move around and I have been doing that but by my first stand I always make there is a deerstand to the right of it ehhh about 1/4 mile, anyway on my way in I crossed a frozen creek wich I checked for tracks you know because it was snow covered and its justr kind of natural to look down and around when you wall but i stayed my textbook 30 minutes on my first stand but when I crossed this frozen creek this time there was two sets of tracks coming from the other side of the gate right towards the deerstand then they veered right. There has been many coyote sightings throughtout the years in this stand my question is do you think a high traffic area like this should deserve an Hour instead of 30 minutes?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ole Sneaky Coyotes(Long ?) HELP!

I wouldn't. Even though I have....[:@] Only time I spent that long at one spot is because I could see the coyote. Just took forever to get it to finally come in.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

how much land are you hunting? how many different sets do you usually make when you hunt this area? if you dont have a lot of area might as well try an hour cant hurt. is this a wooded area?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Spike

Its a good amount of land i can make about 10 different stands in different locations. hope this helps the creek leading right to the stand (left side of farm) is were Ive seen the tracks

Old 01-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Thats nice..... Being from the midwest, this what Iam used to seeing... When a guy wants some help that is how it should be presented...

Couple things I would like to know....

1.prevailing wind.
2. how can we write on your map...

Thats a nice way to get some ideas...

Mike
Pure Predator Custom Calls
www.purepredator.com

Old 01-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

here is what I Kind of came up with... the color of the arrows cordintate the wind and the color of the dots go with that type of wind. This looks like a great spot... These are just my ideas from the map... Scouting the farm, will tell alot... If this is a pretty big farm... I would make some soft stands... I mean, call soft, then stalk the next spot... Stay out of the feilds, use the cover to conceal your approach to stand sites... so parking at the farm, really isnt no good.... cause you have all that open walk to set up...

and USe those deer stand... Nothing better that seeing all that ground from way up high.... Just be safe...

On your stalk to you next spot... Have that shot gun ready... you very well might catch one just slippin in on ya...

Just my oppion... JRB, hunts this stuff alot also... What do you think, JRB..

Mike
Pure Predator Calls

Old 01-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Spike

Thanks alot Mike!!!!!!! You've been great help you labeled some spots Ive never tried thanks! and the prevailing wind usually comes from the north so both of your ideas should work a lot of the time.
THANKS ALOT
Old 01-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

sometimes when you follow the rules and have no GOOD luck you need to do the unexpected. Sneek in under the cover of darkness, get into some of those tree's in the open, in a cross wind deal. All you have to loose is another no kill call.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Hopefully some of these other guys do the same... I just saved his original map, then opened it with the "paint" program... The more I look at it, there are alot of places.... Bounce around... Hit this place about every two weeks... dont burn it out... play it right...

Mike

Old 01-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

pure predator and yodeldog got it covered. i would just get the wind in your favor and find the most quiet undetectable way in and go from there. if you have scouted the area you should have a good idea where the yotes are running by tracks and scat.