Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

first hunt ever...

Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default first hunt ever...

well guys, i went on my first coyote hunting expedition yesterday afternoon. it didn't go so well. i've deer hunted most of my life, and i figured coyote hunting would be easy. i walked in quietly to my spot... over a mile from where i parked to get the wind in a good directionand that took me a half hour. i set up with my back to the river, and waited for things to settle. i was therea couple minutes when in the distance i hear snowmobiles. sure enough, two snowmobiles came down the frozen river doing about 60[:@]. they're making enough noise to wake the dead. i waited for a half hour or so after that and then started my calling. i have a rabbit in distress call... the circe by lohman. i started calling a quietly, then waited a minute or two. then i got louder, and louder, and added some more pauses. after a bit i toned it down. but as expected i didn't see anything or get any response other than a bunch of crows cawwing back at me. the place i was calling was a fairly heavy woods and brush, with an open field to my left. when i did walk out, i did find two fresh set of coyote tracks, but the stopped about 400 yds short of my location.[:@] the daydidn't end uptoo badly tho... when i was walking out i got to see a bald eagle, and 9 gobblers
does it sound like i'm doing the right thing?? i am completely new to this kind of hunting, and i'm learning as i go.
does my calling sequence sound ok? am i using the right calls, or should i get a vocal coyote call of somekind?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Default RE: first hunt ever...

It sounds to me like there was some interest with the crows comming in and the fresh tracks. Crows are a great indicater, a confidence builder for coyotes because crows are very cautious.One thing about calling you never see all the animals that you call and you don't alwats figure out why they don't come in all the way.If the fresh tracks crossed your incomming tracks I would say that he got your scent from your tracks.Coyotes will almost always circle down wind of you so watch that way and approch from a different direction. I would wait a week and try again with a different sound. Good luck!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 AM

other than the snowmobiles [>:] it doesn't sound like a bad first yote hunt at all..

keep it up!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

I fill my deer tags every year,but hunting coyotes isn't as easy they are coming in cautious and looking for the sound,they can pick you out of cover that a deer would never see you,and there nose is very good,it can smell just a hint of human odor and you never know they are there.It sounds like you did everything right,sometimes they just aint willing to play and commit themselves to coming in.Just keep on calling and a dying rabbit sound will kill more coyotes that any other sound.Good Luck!!